iATKOS v1.0i - Leopard native on PC

That is my last post on the topic. I really should have left it at my previous post before that. I have spent too much time, that I should have spent writing papers for school.

Carpo - OS X has like 5% marketshare. It's impossible for them to monopolize.

But as falconguard said, iTunes is another story.

according to recent reports that in the 10-12% range, and as i said in a previous post, use whatever OS works for you, i would like to be able to test drive a mac book for a few days before i buy one, but all the people i know have pcs so i don't know whether to bite the bullet and get one or hold off till my laptop dies

If an iPod is a worse featured product with worse peripherals there are other options out there, that may suit your needs. When you buy a new computer an iPod is not forced onto you by the fact that it is there on your PC and there is no way to get a PC without one.

X, what are you suggesting here?

Ehm, I have a Samsung T809 and it has a proprietary headphone jack as well. I have to buy the one Samsung sells as no others will fit. Same goes for their chargers, the aftermarket chargers can't get the plug to fit properly, so I am forced to buy Samsung.

I did not know that about the headset. Regarding chargers, everyone has their own little thing so I didn't even bother to include that in the conversation.

The iPhone at least comes with a wired headset I can use with it. There is no need to buy additional components, whereas with my Samsung I definitely had to pay extra to get the extra wire with the right plug.

I did not know that about the Samsung. I am speaking, regarding the iPhone, about the experience my colleague had when she brought in her iPhone and was unable to connect it to her extensive sound-system at work.

That is the mistake of the manufacturer. How does this have anything to do with Apple having a monopoly?

This isn't the mistake of the manufacturer. It shows that the initial demand (i.e. the first day) is not duplicated because there is a sufficient quantity. The manufacturer also creates demand but in the case of other products such as the Wii and the PS3, in the initial days, there were huge lines and demand out-stripped supply. The Wii is still in short supply.

I did, I was referring to iPod and iPhone sales. People want them, they are not being forced down their throats when they buy a PC.

This was not insinuated.

Not so different? How are they not so different? Where has Apple strong-armed it's music store over any other? Where has it forced users to use their music store? How has it forced people to buy their media players? Do note that songs made with PlayForSure can not even be played on the Microsoft Zune. If I bought any PlayForSure songs, I am stuck with other players. The same thing applies with Apple not licensing Microsoft DRM. If I bought Microsoft DRM songs, it is understandable I can't play them on my iPod.

I've never used playforsure so I cannot comment. By the way, the file format used for most songs played on a Zune are the same as that on an iPod, I don't think you'll have an issue unless you are working on a proprietary Microsoft or Apple format.

There is huge groups of indie developers out there making money on applications they build. Amazon's music store sells DRM free MP3's which can be loaded onto the iPod and played. What are the essential aspects? A lot of money is made by selling extra's for iPod's for iPhones. Laptop cases, extra hard drives, printers and the like. And because Apple controls these essential aspects they are able to provide a better experience.

On the computer front, there is a significant control of products and significant lack of 3'rd party developers.

I don't agree. You or I were never forced to install iTunes, we were never forced to get an iPod (eventhough I doubt you have one), and we were not forced to download from the iTunes music store.

Had a nano for a few days, gave it to my parents, bought a Zune.

What market are they the only provider of a service?

The Apple computer market? I thought thats what this was about :)

They have an exclusive right to have the iPod, since they made it, but to what do they have the right to exclusive something? Everything Apple provides, has an alternative out there. For the longest time I was unable to get a standard PC without Windows bundled with it. You could say the same thing for Mac's, but one could argue one is paying for the hardware and the software is free. Whereas with Microsoft's OEM licensing I am definitely paying for a copy of the OS.

And you don't pay for yearly updates to Mac OSX?

On the PC platform, you can and have had alternative operating systems available since the earliest days. Whether you chose to use those operating systems or not was dependent on you.

On the Mac setup, you have 1 choice. You have bootcamp, sure, but you still have to have Mac OSX to run it.

So, Leopard running on a PC, huh? Was that what this thread was about?

Damn you Sazar. You don't need bootcamp to install a copy of Linux and use that as the only OS on a MacBook Pro. Just like I don't need bootcamp to run FreeBSD on a MacBook Pro as the only OS. Mac OS X is not required to run any other OS on a MacBook Pro. You could completely replace it with Windows XP and everything would run peachy.

I like these kinds of threads, they keep you warm in the winter months :p

You could completely replace it with Windows XP and everything would run peachy.
Not sure if that would work would it as XP can't boot from EFI. But when Windows supports EFI that'd be true enough.

with all the hub bub going on in this thread, has someone actually tried it successfully, and if so I'm going to try it on my laptop.

can someone PM if they have any experience with this. Also I'm wondering if this will install on a partition so I can dual boot? Please help. I will give rep after rep and then wait to give more when possible!!

If partitions aren't possible what about a good back up program to fully back up my hard drive so that I can just reinstall my current vista install from the back up discs??!!?!?!

ah no wireless support for my intel branded wireless in my laptop. eh well it was good while it was installed. Hope the driver front gets better then I'm going back to OS X.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back