I want a new Cinema Display

muzikool

Act your wage.
Political Access
I don't care what size it is, considering the smallest one is 20"... I just want one really bad. I want it because it will match my computer, and because it's widescreen, and because it's like a freakin' piece of art, and because... *sigh*

I'm really not asking that much, right? I mean, it's not like I'm demanding a 30" display, or even that I have 2 30" displays setup to form a massive 60" display! Do you realize that 4 DVI cables are required to run the full 1,000,000 pixels of a 60" display? But I'm not asking for that! Just a 20" Cinema Display... that's all.

Anybody have some money? :D

indextop06282004.jpg

Walk into your local comp usa pick one up and walk out the door with it. Just make sure someone is waiting for you outside lol .. They are sweet.

I been trying to talk the misses into letting me get a Viewsonic 23 inch flat panel. But she won't let me spend the $2400.00 on it :( If anyone would like to donate one I would be really appreciative ..

Can't recommend them enough, I love my 20" Cinema, and the new ones are even nicer.

As for the Dual 30"s, you only need 2 DVI cables, and it's over 8-million pixels, not just 1-million ;)

muzikool said:
I don't care what size it is, considering the smallest one is 20"... I just want one really bad. I want it because it will match my computer, and because it's widescreen, and because it's like a freakin' piece of art, and because... *sigh*

I'm really not asking that much, right? I mean, it's not like I'm demanding a 30" display, or even that I have 2 30" displays setup to form a massive 60" display! Do you realize that 4 DVI cables are required to run the full 1,000,000 pixels of a 60" display? But I'm not asking for that! Just a 20" Cinema Display... that's all.

Anybody have some money? :D

indextop06282004.jpg

Some's got a chubby. :p

im waiting for me to be able to afford the G5 before i get too excited :p

i already have it priced and spec'd:
• Dual 1.8GHz PowerPC G5
• 512MB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 2x256MB
• 160GB Serial ATA
• DVD-R/CD-RW
• NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra 64MB, ADC/DVI
• 56k V.92 internal modem
• AirPort Extreme Card
• Apple Keyboard & Mouse
• Mac OS X
• Apple Cinema Display (20" flat panel)
• AppleCare Protection Plan for Power Mac
• One FireWire 800 port
• Two FireWire 400 ports
• Three USB 2.0 ports

£2,825.99 - all inclusive :D

^^Glad to see no one is biting :) With reference to above what are the implications of using these on a pc? would games etc have the available resolutions? or can you switch the res as a normal tv to the 4:3 ratio? Thanks :)

whats interesting is that my fx5600 for eg can display DVI "up to" 1600x1200, and my old gf4ti could only do 1280x1024. how can it power 2560xblah? ive heard it reduces the refresh rate or something.

With games if the engine is flexible enough it will let u run at all kinds of weird aspect ratios. HL2 can do 4:3, 16:9, 16:10, and maybe some others so it should work. id imagine you should be able to run a 4:3 resolution, loosing some width of the screen in the process.

Indy, don't post things like that, it's annoying.

You can use them on a PC, that was the whole point for using DVI connections rather than Apple's own ADC connections.

With regards to resolution, that depends on your card, if your card is poor enough to not support 16:10, then you'll simply get a centred 4:3 image with huge borders down each side. Same goes for the games, if your software supports it, you can run widescreen resolutions (1280x800, 1650x1080, etc) most newer games support widescreen.

champ2005, you heard wrong. There's nothing to do with refresh rates at all, they're Active Matrix LCD panels. The 20" and 23" can be used on anything with a DVI connector. The 30" requires to be powered by an nVidia 6800 Mac Edition, each DVI port has dual-link, which in basic terms is two DVI signals to each port, therefore having an effective 4-DVI channels on the card. Each channel powers about half the resolution, meaning you NEED that card to run the 30" and can also use dual 30"s with it.

SPeedY_B said:
Indy, don't post things like that, it's annoying.

You can use them on a PC, that was the whole point for using DVI connections rather than Apple's own ADC connections.

With regards to resolution, that depends on your card, if your card is poor enough to not support 16:10, then you'll simply get a centred 4:3 image with huge borders down each side. Same goes for the games, if your software supports it, you can run widescreen resolutions (1280x800, 1650x1080, etc) most newer games support widescreen.

champ2005, you heard wrong. There's nothing to do with refresh rates at all, they're Active Matrix LCD panels. The 20" and 23" can be used on anything with a DVI connector. The 30" requires to be powered by an nVidia 6800 Mac Edition, each DVI port has dual-link, which in basic terms is two DVI signals to each port, therefore having an effective 4-DVI channels on the card. Each channel powers about half the resolution, meaning you NEED that card to run the 30" and can also use dual 30"s with it.

Bah was just a touch of banter.....
But anyway these screens certainlly look very, very nice which is I guess why they are so expensive :eek: I am certainly green with envy of yours mr speedy :) my 19" crt did go a little funny the other day but not quite enough to justify one of these
Hopefully mac will pull more products like these out of the bag with the extra help of the ipod pushing them along :)

Thanks for clearing that up, Speedy. I assumed since there were 2 ports per card then that meant two cables as well. As for the pixels, I couldn't remember the number, but for some reason 1 million sounded right. ;) Still, I'm not asking for 8 million either! :p

<pedantic> 8.2 million actually </pedantic>

<uber-pedantic> 8,192,000 to be precise </uber-pedantic>

:p :D

I want one as well, if anyone of you becomes a millionaire don't forget us at OSNN.

At least the new models are cheaper than the older ones.... which I bought.... *shakes fist* :p

At the end of the day, my G4 is tucked under my desk, whether it matches is irrelevant :p

But yes, it does match, I'd imagine the new alu-displays would match quite well too, may have to buy one to find out... I have a spare DVI port :D

Not great for watching movies

They rock for graphics work but movies look terrible on them. I was looking at one which had a Harry POtter film playing on it at CompUSA and couldn't beleive how crappy the video looked. Artifacts, poor contrast, not at all what I would expect for something near the price of a Plasma HDTV.

-Wrath

I went to the Apple Store in Dallas today and saw these babies first hand. I almost cried because I had to walk away empty-handed. :(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back