• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

I got trouble "?" ibook

zeke_mo

(value not set)
Staff member
Political User
My sister's ibook(500Mhz, 640MB RAM) which has a dual boot of 9.2 and 10.x installed on it will no longer boot. All that shows up is a little folder with a "?" mark on it, I have no idea what that means. I was thinking it cant find the boot folder or something. She wants me to get it working so she can back up everything and format. Thanks ahead :p

zeke_mo

(value not set)
Staff member
Political User
I just booted with a system disk, and I went do use disk first aid and it gave me this error: "Problem: Invalid BTree node size, 4,0"

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
If you're receiving a folder with a "?" on it, this usually means that there is no bootable operating install that can be found, as x-istence says, try Apple.com's support section for more information. I've never solved this problem before with anything other than simply re-installing the o/s (take's 15 minutes, and no settings are lost at all) however I've never looked into the problem before.

X-Istence

Political User
zeke_mo said:
Will it format the hdd? She wants to keep all her old pictures, movie, etc.
No, it will just copy a new boot sector to the drive, and all the stuff that is a must have, you will lose no settings like SPeedY_B says. And not losing settings means not losing documents either.

zeke_mo

(value not set)
Staff member
Political User
Its asking about initializing the disk. I hate to keep asking, but it this a format?

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
zeke_mo said:
Its asking about initializing the disk. I hate to keep asking, but it this a format?
Initialising a disk would be formatting it, yes. Basically when it asks to initialise a disk it means that the software has found no recognisable disk to install the o/s on to, but it has found the presence of some kind of disk, it just needs to be formatted before proceeding further.

will it boot into target disk mode??

think its holding down 'T' while restarting the machine, then if you can plug it into another mac with a firewire cable you should be able to access the hard drive.

zeke_mo

(value not set)
Staff member
Political User
I was really wishing that it wasn't a hardware problem. I guess I'll give apple a call. Thanks for all the help :D If I get this fixed I will let you all know what it was.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanoravies