How to get + than 10 user Max connections XP Pro?

J

jesped

Anyone here knows any way to increase the Max connections limit of 10 users in Windows XP Pro?

I tried the NTswitch utility to change it to server mode but then the display is totally screwed after few minutes of use... :-(

Any other wat to do this?

Many thanks.

What do you mean "Max Connections Limit"? Like the number od usernames? Or the number of remote connections to a network share?

JJB6486

Originally posted by jesped
Anyone here knows any way to increase the Max connections limit of 10 users in Windows XP Pro?

I tried the NTswitch utility to change it to server mode but then the display is totally screwed after few minutes of use... :-(

Any other wat to do this?

Many thanks.

There is no way to change this. Pro is limited to 10 connections while Home is limited to 5.
If you need more then you need to install Server or better yet download a copy of linux and istall it. Much more stable and secure than any Windows machine ever dreamed of being.

JJB, IIS connections.
jesped, you shouldn't have to worry about this too much...If you do need more though, you can install Apache in Windows, or if it's FTP connections you need, you can use another third-party FTP server program. And Linux is overkill if this is all you would need it for.
/Lactic

Originally posted by Lactic.Acid
JJB, IIS connections.
jesped, you shouldn't have to worry about this too much...If you do need more though, you can install Apache in Windows, or if it's FTP connections you need, you can use another third-party FTP server program. And Linux is overkill if this is all you would need it for.
/Lactic

Do not recommend to someone use IIS! Unless they really know what they are doing this will cause all kinds of problems. I get tired of clearing my apache logs of the several hundred attempts Nimda to infect it each day. And no, Linux is not overkill. Much more stable than Microsoft and guess what..more secure.

Do you mean LINUX can run ASP?? Anyone, please let me know, I'm eager to nknow, it will save me lots of trobles...
THANKS!!! :D

Sorry, but I'm talking about connected sessions on a LAN, not inet connections...

Any help?

weecheng: Yes, linux/apache can run ASP. There is a module to make this possible, just like mod_SSL or mod_perl. I have never used it, but it is available.

jesped: Obviously there is no official way to increase the max coneections limit. That is how Microsoft get people to buy server instead. The hack that you have already tried is the only one that I know of. If it doesn't work for you then I think your stuck @ max 10.

Originally posted by open_source

Do not recommend to someone use IIS! Unless they really know what they are doing this will cause all kinds of problems. I get tired of clearing my apache logs of the several hundred attempts Nimda to infect it each day. And no, Linux is not overkill. Much more stable than Microsoft and guess what..more secure.

IIS FTP server is separate from the webserver, and you won't have Nimda issues with the FTP server. And it's NOT tough to lock down IIS, if you're not a lazy ass who can't read a few webpages (which, unfortunately, lots of ppl are...)

Also, this person is talking about WinXP, which is IIS 5.1, which is not vulnerable to the Nimda shite. Win2k runs IIS 5.0, which is.

And for a home web/ftp server, Linux is probably going to be overkill. Most people don't have/require a dedicated webserver at home, and if someone is asking this type of question, they are NOT going to know enough about Linux to get it up and running securely. Linux is not an easy fix to security issues. An admin of a Linux box who knows jack is JUST as harmful, if not MORE SO, than an IIS admin who knows nothing. Because if that Linux box gets cracked, there's much more the cracker can do (assuming s/he knows Linux) with that computer.
/Lactic

Agreed. IIS can be set up to be very secure. The problem with IIS is that is is so accessable to people who know little or nothing about web servers. It's right there on the Windows CD, ready to install. Some of the people that set up these IIS servers a lucky to get it running, much less get it set up correctly. Linux/Apache on the other hand tends to attract a group that is more "in the know." If you know what Linux is, take the time to download it, get it installed and running, then get Apache running; chances are you know a lot about what you are doing. IIS on the other hand is easily available to anybody. Even the clueless.

I'm not trying to say that IIS is as secure as Linux/Apache. It does have more vunerabilities, but if set up correctly it can be an very secure system.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back