• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

How much overclocking?

I'm building a new P4 system off an Epox 4G4a+. I'm willing to spend up to about $350 for processor and cooling. I'd be looking either at a 2.53 with a nice SwifTech heatsink/fan, or maybe a 1.8 or 1.6 with water cooling. I want to overclock a bit with the 2.53, how does the performance compare to say a 1.8@ 2.8?

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
Posted by arson_nick
I'm building a new P4 system off an Epox 4G4a+. I'm willing to spend up to about $350 for processor and cooling. I'd be looking either at a 2.53 with a nice SwifTech heatsink/fan, or maybe a 1.8 or 1.6 with water cooling. I want to overclock a bit with the 2.53, how does the performance compare to say a 1.8@ 2.8?
the 2.53 is better mainly because of the cache level and the faster FSB :) will let intel experts give you their own take... but 533fsb v/s 400fsb :) I think you get the picture..

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
Posted by SnookBooger
Don't get the 2.53 because it does not have the C1 core step. 2.6 and above do have the C1 core and because of this they overclock better.:)
and that is exactly why you listen to an intel expert :)

This is going to be used as a secondary computer for me, to do mainly rendering, but also seti or distributed.net stuff. Am I going to get much of a boost using RDRAM 1066 over PC3200?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pdawgintown