How do you clean up windows machines?

Thanks for the replies guys, as Im writing this i am formatting a client's laptop hehe

Yea I am leaning more towards just formatting and reinstalling windows...

Registry cleaners scare me. Too many bad experiences with friends and clients running into things that got cleaned up that shouldn't have been. Personally, I like NOD32 (AV) and Diskeeper (defrag) and the occasional Windows Clean Up.

I have to ask, are you looking for an easy cleanup ? Because alot of my friends come to me for free (sigh) and expect gold services. So I have made a short list of what to do. Seeing as how I have a server with generic ghost OS images, if there is a serious infection on the machine, I have an easier time formatting and ghosting an image to thier machine. And then installing Avira, and then using "msconfig" to remove uneeded start up items. Once that is done, I remove the entries in the registry manually that are disabled or not needed. so basically it is

1. See what software the end user needs
2. Format / ghost image
3. Install necessary software (i.e junk that they use)
4. Install an anti-virus software (usually avira)
5. msconfig clean-up and registry clean-up (manually)
6. hand them a basically new pc and tell them that will be 40$ an hour

I also run the windows disk clean up wizard :D

Right on E-Punk, I use it as well ....lol ... Now, I have to ask. Since so many people seem to use automated reg cleaners, are there any you would recommend ? I have used a few (won't name any) and find it easier/ more stable to edit the bloated windows registry by hand myself. I know this is a bit much for most users, so I was looking for one I might recommend to my non-tech-savvy friends. Since it would probably save me time in the end :)

I haven't really looked into registry cleaners so much, CCleaner is about as far as I go.

you shouldn't use disk clean up wizard if you use ccleaner :) ccleaner does a far better job.

Well the disk cleanup wizard picks up on a few bits CCleaner doesn't like error report logs, unneeded installation files, thumbnails etc.

I been experimenting with tuneup utilities 2009. It seems to be doing pretty good. Not like that older ones - Things works up to snuff from what I see. Haven't had any issues yet. It's odd because the older versions sucked ..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back