• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

How do i uninstall the builtin xp messenger

J

J0sh

run this from the run prompt: RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

W

wahoo24jc

Hipster's method is probably the best. That is what I do. That way if you want to use it for some reason, you can just rename the folder to Messenger.

A

allan

If you want to disable messenger, then HD's suggestion to rename the folder to anything other than its current name will work fine. If you want to remove messenger completely, then you must follow JOsh's suggestion. Other than a crowbar, that's the only way to remove it from your system.

Please note - you can always reinstall Messenger at a later date if you choose.

Kevin Ar18

OSNN Senior Addict
It's possible that by removing or disabling Windows Messenger, Outlook Express will launch several seconds slower.
I messed around with such configurations a while back to get messenger to stop launching -- things like uninstalling it from "add/remove programs" and disabling it in Outlook Express. However, one of the methods slowed down Outlook Express; unfortunately I don't know for sure which one it was.

The method I finally settled on was renaming the folder to "Messenger2" Now I have no extra slow down when launching Outlook Express.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanoravies