hot to over clock a slot?

canadian_divx

Canadian_divx
how can i over clock a slot processer, it is an amd athlon k7 600mhz i want to over clock it and i have the fans and heatsink but i am not sure how, anyone know or know of a site to show how????

i thought slot processors were already overclocked, as they use pci cuz they arent compatible with the CPU socket. :huh:

Originally posted by XP Abuser
i thought slot processors were already overclocked, as they use pci cuz they arent compatible with the CPU socket. :huh:

Not true.
I use a Slot 1 PIII 550 (Katmai core) ... the multiplier is 5.5 and the FSB is 100MHz

You can overclock a Slot 1 CPU just like any others, but it's generally not recommended.

why not recomended. i looked into joining the bridges but i can get that plastic peace off, is there a trick to it,

Originally posted by canadian_divx
why not recomended. i looked into joining the bridges but i can get that plastic peace off, is there a trick to it,

you dont need to join bridges on a slot cpu. your best chance of o/cing it is to adjust the cpu core voltage and the fsb. I know someone who had a 350mhz p2 running at about 406mhz or something like that. i can get my p3 750mhz to 840mhz with fsb alone... but its not really worth it. the advantages gained are so much of a lower priority to the losses because as far as ive read on the net, more ppl have fried slot cpus than socket cpus.

plus if you up the fsb, you have to take into consideration if your memory can run at the quicker fsb, as it will more than likely be pc100 memory which may not run so well at 112fsb. you may be ok running at 103fsb, but you'd get something like 18mhz extra which just aint worth it really, but the 112fsb would give you an extra 72mhz, which isnt really worth it either.

i dont know if you could up the multiplier on the slot AMD cpus... someone else might though. I know you cant on the pentium slot cpus.

i run my cpu at its recommended speed (750MHz) as I dont see the need to overclock. If I needed extra speed, id need a little more than 90mhz which is what i'd gain by o/cing.

but, i also know someone who blew the top-end off his p3 550mhz by o/cing too much... ran it at about 266mhz (the cpu couldnt handle anything more - would just bsod all the time or bleep at boot), but he lost access to most of the cpu cache memory and it sucked on games - he had bout 3fps on q2 @ 640x480.

Originally posted by jonifen
the advantages gained are so much of a lower priority to the losses because as far as ive read on the net, more ppl have fried slot cpus than socket cpus.

plus if you up the fsb, you have to take into consideration if your memory can run at the quicker fsb, as it will more than likely be pc100 memory which may not run so well at 112fsb. you may be ok running at 103fsb, but you'd get something like 18mhz extra which just aint worth it really, but the 112fsb would give you an extra 72mhz, which isnt really worth it either.

Great post! :)
That's precisely the reason why I refuse to overclock my Slot1 P3.

I've tried it a couple of times, just for the fun of it ... but nothing more than that.

there is a device called goldfinger for amd slot cpu's that unlocks the multiplier.
it has been discontinued now but you might find one on ebay

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back