Hot swappable?

Glaanieboy

OSNN Veteran Addict
I just reordered my drives in my computer. I have put my main drive in my computer (outside of the bay) and I use the bay to put my secondary drive in, so I can use them both at the same time.
I understand that Windows XP (Home Edition) accepts hot swappable drives, but does that count for IDE-drives as well, in the setup I have?

ming

OSNN Advanced
Which drives are you wanting to hot-swap? I take it that you want to keep the secondary drive permanent, and swap the main drive with another one (backup).

You'll need those mobile HD racks if you want to hotswap a HD.
I'm not totally sure about IDE drives but scsi drives work ok.

Glaanieboy

OSNN Veteran Addict
Well, I know that there is software around for Windows 2000, and my bay came bundled with hot-swap software, but I lost it, so I was wondering if Windows XP has a built-in software for that.

Glaanieboy

OSNN Veteran Addict
Hmm, ok. I just tried it, and it refuses to read the 'new' drive correctly. My Computer still lists the partitions from the first drive, but I can only view the cached versions of the folder contents. I also checked out the Microsoft Knowledge Base and I found this article: link.
It seems that my drives are not compatible. But, I am still looking for software, the same as that was bundled with the bay, I can't seem to remember the name.

I think the only kinds of IDE drives you can "hot swap" are two of the same exact drives. It's not really hot swapping, just fooling the computer.

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soperyzoity