home networking

pvl_ru

OSNN Junior Addict
I couldn't find a place for this topic, but i hope this fits in.

I have read many websites on how to make networks, but after following all the rules, there was no luck.

I have many questions i want to ask, and i'll try to go in order.

My dad has a Vista computer with a printer connected to it.

My computer has Windows Xp on it and it is located in another room.

We both use internet through a router.

My dad's computer is connected to the router directly.

My computer is connected to the router through a wireless USB device

The wireless device and the router are netgear and are compatable..

My question: How can I use my dad's printer through my computer, i think i need to set up a home network for that, but i'm not sure.

The workgroup names are the same. Printer sharing is on. the network is made on both computers.

My computer cannot detect my dad's network and my dad's computer cannot detect my network.

Please, if you can, give me a step-by-step process on how to set up a home network in my circumstances, or explain what is wrong.

Thanks a lot for taking your time and reading my post.

THank You.

It sounds like you have done everything right so far.

Next:
Check for firewalls, they are usually the cause of not seeing other computers on the network. Most liekly the one on your dad's computer
--To start turn off the firewalls on both computers and reboot. If you can still not see the other computer power cycle the router and both computers.
-- If you can see the computers you know it is the firewalls. You need to open up access in the firewall to allow connections on your LAN. Most firewalls block the LAN as well as the WAN.
-- Opening up ip addresses or a range of addresses is an option in the firewall software. It depends on what firewall sofwtare you are using for how to open the ip ranges. You may also have problems if the IP address is dynamically assigned by the router. The address may change every time you reboot. In this case you will need to assign a range of addresses to the firewall software or change to Static IP assignments (a lot more work).

Post with any sepcific questions on setting up the firewall sofwtare you have.

Also once opening up addreses in the LAN make very sure you are using WPA encyption on your wireless conneciton or your whole network will be wide open. If the router and network cards do not support WPA get ones that do. Other encryption is too weak.

I set the firewalls for "Accept all i.p. addresses." or something like that yesterday, now it lets any i.p. address to connect, but computers still don't see each other.:disappointed:

I use wep encryption for now, i will use wpa when we set up a network.

Thanks for all your help already:)

If you still haven't been able to see the other computers try truning off the firewall completely. I have had problems seeing through them, even when they are "opened". If you are nervous dropping the firewalls, just unplug the WAN conneciton while your check out the network setup.

PS Being nervouds about shutting down firewalls is a good policy.

If you still haven't been able to see the other computers try truning off the firewall completely. I have had problems seeing through them, even when they are "opened". If you are nervous dropping the firewalls, just unplug the WAN conneciton while your check out the network setup.

PS Being nervouds about shutting down firewalls is a good policy.

thanks, the problem was with avg firewall

reps!!

thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back