Hiding/Password protecting Folders in XP

N

ndiggity

Hi folks,

I just started using XP yesterday and I have a question. I want to be able to hide folders in a more effective way than just changing their attributes to "hidden" (password protection would be great!). I have a few confidential files that I don't want the other users of my computer to access. The folders are big and I need to acces them frequently, so encryption and/or zipping takes too much time.

I have seen a few programs that claim to do this, but I am reluctant to invest in any of them. I can't believe someone hasn't made a freeware utility that password protects folders. Does anyone know of an easy trick that can be used to hide folders?

In windows 98, for example, I used to rename folders to names with ascii characters (through the command prompt). These folders wouldn't open in Explorer. I tried this trick with XP...but XP is too damned smart! :)

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions I'd be very grateful.

Thank!
Ndig.

What version of XP are you using? and what's the file system where the files are installed you wan't to hide?

As a general guide do not place any items on a computer that you don't want a third party to have access to. Security on modern operating systems is easy to circumvent as the storage medium (hard drives) can be accessed using specailst equipment even after the drive cases have been destroyed.

This is also true whilst you are actually working on the machine, data can be ripped off from a vehicle outside your premises, also using specailst equipment. If you use the internet things are even simpler.

Some of the best modern security methods (hidding information) is by storing sensitive information within other files on your computer, usually files with losts of redundant data in them already (graphics files spring to mind). These are extreemly dificult to decode (quickly) but again not impossible.

For general purpose security of the user/password type but not sharing type systems, the operating system and file system used by your operating system will suffice unless you have Windows XP Home Edition. If you have this installed you can still implement user based folder or directory based user security but you will have to jump over a few hoops first. Win 200 or XP (Not Home) provide this type of basic security by default but you must have the NTFS file system installed and be logged on with admin rights.

As many people have found to their cost including some military authorities, any data stored on any computer using a recognised or understood operating system (Unix, Windows, Dos, CPM, HP etc) or derivitaves can be hacked if you have the resources, manpower and time. Security does not exist in the computer comunity only some peoples understanding of it.

And finally if you use a CRT monitor it does not matter what secutity measures you have in place as what appears on your screen is being recorded, this is old (ten years old) technology, so just immagine what they are up to now.

If you are using Pro and are formatted in NTFS then just go to the security options and remove the everone user and add only the user accoutns you want to have access to the folder.

Simply use EFS, even through methods of reading sector by sector, or cracking the drive in a clean room, the data will be encrypted.

Sharpton Out

Members online

No members online now.

Latest forum posts

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back