• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Help with setting up my network!

DJ-phYre

To whom it may concern
OK I have a network with 3 computers... 2 Windows XP and 1 Linux Box.

There is a hub in a room with one XP machine.... I ran a cable a while back for my other windows xp machine. The problem I am having is getting my Linux machine on the network. I am putting it in the room w/o the hub. My machine in that room has 2 NICs. I created a bridge between LAN 1 and LAN 2 in WinXP networking, and I can ping the linux machine, but hte XP machine can not be pinged from the linux machine. Am I doing something wrong?

WinXP: 192.168.0.1 / Gateway: 192.168.0.1
Bridge: 192.168.0.210 / Gateway: 192.168.0.1
Linux: 192.168.0.69 / Gateway: 192.168.0.1

EDIT: for those who didn't get it, I used a crossover to go from Linux -> Lan 2 XP

j79zlr

Glaanies script monkey
Political User
what are you trying to do?

ok, lemme get this straight,

modem > hub > XP 1 and XP 2

XP 2 has 2 nic and wants to use Linux off of that.

This is fairly complicated for what you are trying to do, the easiest route is to either run another cable from the HUB or get a router. Unless you have more than 1 static IP from your ISP you will need to either use a router or plug the internet into the XP PC with 2 NIC's, hookup the modem to one NIC and then connect the hub to the second nic. then use ICS and connect the two client PC's into the hub. Otherwize you will have to setup a routing table to direct traffic.

DJ-phYre

To whom it may concern
I know that would be the easiest way, just thought it could be done :)

Just called my dad... picking me up another hub on his way home :)

j79zlr

Glaanies script monkey
Political User
you dont want another HUB, if youa re going to spend money, just buy a router and plug everything in to it.

ming

OSNN Advanced
DJ-phYre said:
WinXP: 192.168.0.1 / Gateway: 192.168.0.1
Bridge: 192.168.0.210 / Gateway: 192.168.0.1
Linux: 192.168.0.69 / Gateway: 192.168.0.1

EDIT: for those who didn't get it, I used a crossover to go from Linux -> Lan 2 XP
How can you have WinXP and Gateway on the same IP?

j79zlr

Glaanies script monkey
Political User
ah OK, I didn't think youd be able to share internet access with a hub, I just assume everyone has DSL or cable. You shouldn't need another hub, just plug all the PC's into one, routing through the XP box with a second NIC is overcomplicating things.

DJ-phYre

To whom it may concern
j79zlr said:
ah OK, I didn't think youd be able to share internet access with a hub, I just assume everyone has DSL or cable. You shouldn't need another hub, just plug all the PC's into one, routing through the XP box with a second NIC is overcomplicating things.
I just don't want have to run another drop... the hub is a different room then the 2 machines... it is in another room

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanoravies