Help with ISO Image

jpom

OSNN Addict
So I have an ISO Image that is 656MB (or something of the sort) and I need to make a change to a text file on the image. I've used UltraISO and winrar to open the image and extract the file. I make my changes, dump the file back into the ISO and then rebuild the Image, but the image becomes 1.5GB. So I extracted the whole ISO image and it goes from 656MB to 1.5GB when extracted. My questions is this, is there a program or some method that I am unaware of compressing this ISO image or building it back into a CD size Image.

TIA
James

make sure you are not added the .iso back to the new file. I don't think compression can be done but i could be wrong.

I checked that but the problem is that while the ISO is 656MB if I extract it to a folder then the folder is 1.5GB and I can't get that folder back to a 656MB ISO. Thanks anyways though.

James

It could be that the original ISO references the same physical location of the file on the disc over and over. Let's say you have a folder with a 200MB file, but another folder with the same file in it. No need for it to be written twice on the disc; you just tell the image to look for it in another location. That way you save that 200MB, because there's no need for it to be written twice to a disc.

You can make an image like that with a program like CDimage or CDimage Gui.

I would use WinISO. Program works great, I have used it for years. It even lets you edit files within the ISO in some cases without having to extract.

kcnychief said:
I would use WinISO. Program works great, I have used it for years. It even lets you edit files within the ISO in some cases without having to extract.

Ditto, I've used it as well and it lets you modify, add, and remove files from Images.

Well so far it looks lke winiso works. I tried cdimage, but no matter what it was still to big. I used to use WinISO but found that it had problems dealing with other image formats that UltraISO didn't. Either way I went back to WinISO and was able to edit the text file and save it back on the disc without a change in the file size.

Thanks for the help guys.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back