Help with Choosing Car Audio

wessleym

OSNN Addict
I'm trying to replace my existing portable CD player and tape adapter system with a better one which will allow me to use USB flash drives to store and play MP3s. Does anyone know anything about this particular system?

Here's a good specification page:
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=14559

I only question the quality of the unit. One local place said it was good, and another said it was bad. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, I'm using USB flash drives because I'm tired of the slower speed of having to burn CDs in order to add songs. USB flash drives are much faster.

Last edited:
Sorry, I fixed the link. And the Music Keg is way more expensive and not nearly as easy to update as a USB flash drive. Thanks though.

The spec looks reasonable to me, especially for the price. Unless you hear of any specific issues, I'd go with it.

The 4x60W amp output is even a little higher than standard, most I've looked at recently are around 4x45W and with the pre-amp output, it's easy enough to hook up a seperate amp and speakers and/or sub.

For that price, I'm expecting poor build quality. I'd spend a bit more for a good unit that will last many years. Also, it is *impossible* for a head unit to put out more that 4x22 watts full spectrum. Don't believe the hype.

dreamliner77 said:
For that price, I'm expecting poor build quality. I'd spend a bit more for a good unit that will last many years. Also, it is *impossible* for a head unit to put out more that 4x22 watts full spectrum. Don't believe the hype.

Why is it impossible? I don't know too much about car audio.

You need a switching power supply to supply that kind of power. Impossible in a head unit, too big and generate too much heat. You ever wonder why auto amps are as big as they are?

dreamliner77 said:
You ever wonder why auto amps are as big as they are?

Actually, no. Never in my life have I wondered that until now. I don't think I've ever even seen an amp. It makes sense though. Thanks for the insight. If anybody has any other info, please tell me. I could use all the help I can get.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back