Help w/ Turntables setup

• Thread starter CyberCowboy
  • Start date
C

CyberCowboy

Anyone familiar with setting up 2 turntables and a mixer? My problem is, I can only hear one table.

I have 2 Numark TT-1650's and a Numark DM1001X mixer. Ive hooked one turntable into the Phono 1 jack on the back of the mixer, and the second turntable into the Phono 2 jack. Ive grounded both of the tables to the mixer. And checked for loose cables. Ive made sure that all the switches on the top of the mixer are correct with their connection on the back of the mixer.

Any help would be appreciated

CC

Tried switching the decks over? so that deck1 is in phono2 and deck2 in phono1.
That'll eliminate the problem being the decks or mixer.

also are you getting audio from cue'ing in the headphones? that would eliminate problem being the mixer output/input.

If it's not any of those, problem may actually be with the cables.

SPeedY_B said:
Tried switching the decks over? so that deck1 is in phono2 and deck2 in phono1.
That'll eliminate the problem being the decks or mixer.

also are you getting audio from cue'ing in the headphones? that would eliminate problem being the mixer output/input.

If it's not any of those, problem may actually be with the cables.

Good thought. I tried switching the decks, and by switching the phono jacks I can now hear the opposite side that I couldnt hear before. Strange? Could it be that one of the decks is the prob?

I can hear the cue through the headphones. What is the cue used for anyway?

Hope you can tell Im new to this stuff. :D Thanks SPeedY_B

Cue is for beat matching.

For example, deck1 is playing out. you then need to listen to deck2 through the headphones (along with deck1, or on its own, that's a preference) to 'match' it with the tune on deck1. Once deck 1 and 2 are matched, you can mix in deck 2 so that it is also playing out.

And it may possibly be the deck that is your problem. Is the stylus attached right? and are the cables at the deck end attached right? seeing as those two are the only 'user' changed things, if they don't solve it (and nothing else does.. there's lots of things that can go wrong :p )... may be a fecked deck unfortunately.

You got any transformer/kill switches or line selector switches incorrectly set?
I'm not familiar with today's mixers,
but they can't be too much different to the ones around 10yrs ago :shrug:

Given that, look for a switch above/near the channel volume for line2/phono2.
Ensure it's set to phono.

I used to annoy my m8 with this. I'd scratch using the switch,
and if we we're going 3on3 he'd flip out when he took
over if I never put the switch back to phono. :p :D

*Slaps punk* shaddap you! :p

Erb, more than know what you mean. Mostly get annoyed with my mate for leaving the curve control on sharp though, or using the kill switches and not resetting them. :D

*cough* well...i've been called some things in my time :eek: but....

Erbmaster said:
You got any transformer/kill switches or line selector switches incorrectly set?
I'm not familiar with today's mixers,
but they can't be too much different to the ones around 10yrs ago :shrug:

Given that, look for a switch above/near the channel volume for line2/phono2.
Ensure it's set to phono.

I used to annoy my m8 with this. I'd scratch using the switch,
and if we we're going 3on3 he'd flip out when he took
over if I never put the switch back to phono. :p :D

Youre right, there is a switch above line2/phono2. Its switched to phono2. There are 2 switches above the phono jacks. They're both switched to phono. Still getting that blank nothingness. :(

SPeedY_B said:
Is the stylus attached right?

I might have to check that out as well. I read that it should be changed out every 200-300 playing hours?

Simply swap the cartridge/stylus from the working deck, to the non working deck.
Quick stylus integrity check. :D
(Of course, assuming your OK with the fitting of the stylus?)

They go really grainy and crackle before they need replacing.
Besides which, if the stylus was knackered, it'd skate over yer choons.

It should be, yeah. But you'll just get a duller sound the more your stylus wears out, it'll take a lot for it to wear down to the point of not being able to hear anything. :)

^^^hehee^^^
SNAP! :p
Yer I agree with SPeedY, the degradation is definitely noticable

Erbmaster said:
Simply swap the cartridge/stylus from the working deck, to the non working deck.
Quick stylus integrity check. :D
(Of course, assuming your OK with the fitting of the stylus?)

They go really grainy and crackle before they need replacing.
Besides which, if the stylus was knackered, it'd skate over yer choons.

Eeek! Im a stylus virgin. I'll try to dig up some instructions...

*edit* Just read and I think I understand what you guys are talkin about. Should I still try to switch out the stylus?

I'm not familiar with Numark TT-1650's, I have Technics SL1200MKII's.
With them it's infinitely easier to unscrew the cartridge head at the end of the arm, than muck about with the stylii.
Look for a similar attachment at the base of your carts/stylii

Erbmaster said:
I'm not familiar with Numark TT-1650's, I have Technics SL1200MKII's.
With them it's infinitely easier to unscrew the cartridge head at the end of the arm, than muck about with the stylii.
Look for a similar attachment at the base of your carts/stylii

Ok, I tried switching out the entire cartridge head, and there isnt a peep.

Question about the crossfader. On my mixer, its pretty loosey goosey. Could there be a problem with it?

Looser the better, nothing worse than a stiff fader :p

SPeedY_B said:
Looser the better, nothing worse than a stiff fader :p

Good deal. This mixers been around. :D Bought it from DJ Sniper. Along with the turntables. Check out his site, http://www.dj-sniper.com

He has a few good live sets for download too.. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back