help me with different versions

Taurus

hardware monkey
i want to upgrade my dad's comp and get him Windows 7 Home Premium when it comes out, but there are 3 versions. here is what (i think) i understand and what i'm not clear on;

OEM for System Builders ($110) - can only be installed on one configuration. a major hardware change will void it?

Upgrade ($120) - must provide a key or cd from a previous version of windows? is a fresh install possible? can it be transferred to another machine later down the line?

Retail ($200) - can install on as many differnt configurations as you want, but only one active at a time.

also, if one buys 32-bit, can they get a 64-bit disc that uses the same key for a nominal shipping fee from MS?

Amusing: Windows 7 End user license agreement

They have not issued a "final" EULA for 7 yet.

From everything I've read you are correct on OEM.

You are probably correct on the Retail version. But with no released EULA there is no guarantee.

For the Upgrade - fresh installs are recommended. You only need a valid Key (old and new versions). The disks have the entire OS on them.

Disk availability for 32 vs 64 and cost is subject to change at any time at the whim of Redmond. 64 will probably be on the 32 BIT retail disk (DVDs have mucho room for extras). You should always be able to download a 64 BIT ISO if nothing else. Last I heard the change over was one direction only, no going back to 32.

We'll have to wiat for a EULA release to be sure. Amusingly, the Autocad lawsuit loss in federal court declaring that we really do own the software (as opposed to liscencing it like the software companies claim) is going to wreak havoc on EULA wording, especially for limited liscence versions of software like MS is doing.

retail will come with both 32bit and 64 bit discs

I suspect the case will activation will be the same it always is. If you run out of activations, call the free phone number and say it is on one pc only and they'll reactivate for you.

Grab the OEM one and save yourself some money. You won't get any support from MS though.

so if you have the OEM version for a while then build a new comp and want to install it on it (no longer using the old install), will it be able to be activated? if it's possible with a quick call to MS, then why would someone get the upgrade version which costs more and hassles you with an old key?

and to clarify; keys are not 32-bit or 64-bit specific, correct?

no the keys are not specific - i have vista retail, 32 and 64bit discs and only have one key

so if you have the OEM version for a while then build a new comp and want to install it on it (no longer using the old install), will it be able to be activated? if it's possible with a quick call to MS, then why would someone get the upgrade version which costs more and hassles you with an old key?

and to clarify; keys are not 32-bit or 64-bit specific, correct?

Yes. To the best of my knowledge its been that way with OEM installs since XP. I've done that with vista plenty of times.

The reason more people don't do this is they are told you get X activations before you have to buy a new key. However if you call MS it asks you how many machines you are using the key on. Tell them one only and they give you a bunch of numbers to enter to reactivate good for another X times.

They just won't give you any support whatever unless you pay for it.

As far as the "OEM" version of Vista is concerned, I have reinstalled more than 10 times and changed the hardware .......... no problem with new activation code via Microsoft.
Hopefully Windows 7 OEM will be the same .

I managed to order Windows 7 full version @ £44.99 so should receive 32 / 64 bit together, so wont need OEM this time .

thanks for the clarification, everyone. 7 will be the first operating system i bought since XP came out over 8 years ago. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back