Hard Drive noise - should I be concerned?

D.G.

OSNN Newbie
I just bought a seagate hard drive (ST380011A) and right away it’s started making a chirping sound. It happens whenever the drive spins up quickly from a stop, such as coming out of standby mode. It’s a single, half-second squeal (loud enough to be heard over case fans and ambient office noise), then it’s quiet again.

The only other hard drives I’ve had were another seagate that hasn’t made a sound in the 2 years I’ve had it, and a 4gig WD from my old computer that sounded like a tractor most of the time. So I don’t know if I just got lucky with first seagate and that kind of noise is normal, or if it means a mechanical flaw that will lead to an early death.

I ran the disk checking program from seagate and that was fine, and there are no other problems. So what I’d like is some feedback on what (noise-wise) is normal, and what is trouble. Thanks.

well i have an old WD drive it makes weird sounds everytime i work on it, it's slow too, but hard drives usually make tiny high pitch sounds as soon as they are turned on for like a sec only, but now loud noise from them try taking it back to the shop and get it replaced maybe

I have your identical model drive (had it a couple of years actually) and never a peep out of it.... RMA time IMHO :eek: sorry....

i had an old ibm drive which made some really evil (head digging into platter) types of noises.
personally i would rma it even if it was singing the greatest song in the world.... yeah

Geffy said:
i had an old ibm drive which made some really evil (head digging into platter) types of noises.
That's the good old "idle seek" sound of the IBM Deskstars. Completely normal, but scares the **** out of me everytime I hear it. ;)

That Seagate though, I'd RMA it, that doesn't sound like it's supposed to be there.

Thanks for the input. I saw a thread from a couple of weeks ago, some people saying how quiet saegates were. And that was certainly my experience with my first seagate. I thought it sounded like something was wrong, I just didn’t want to look like a dufus taking back a hard drive if there was nothing wrong with it. So I appreciate the feed back. And thanks for the welcome.:)

yup u shud be concerned, chirping sounds prolly means a bad head (not ut head the one in the HD). r you sure its chirping, if its actually a whoosing sound then thats prolly cuz ur disk is spinning very fast, try slowing it down and see if u still have the problem. if it continues IMO RETURN THE DAMN THING!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back