Half-Life 2 no-cd/virtual drive

ElementalDragon

The One and Only
Ok...... does anyone know if either one of these will cause steam account bannage or something of the sort? kinda getting sick of having to have my DVD in if i want to play Half-Life: Source, CS: Source, or HL2.

Electronic Punk

willalwaysbewithyou
Staff member
Political User
I am sure Valve will turn off cd protection eventually, it is a contractual obligation.
Try backing up your source/hl2 related .gcf cache files and make Steam download em (over time I guess...) then you would hav ethe Steam version wouldn't you?

Haven't and won't be looking at the "retail" version of the game so I don't know.

ming

OSNN Advanced
All they require is a valid CD-Key registered to a user at the end of the day. All retail versions of HL/CS has required the CD in drive in order to start the game. However, you may get away with downloading HL2/CS Source off Steam if you're willing to re-install the game. This does not require the CD, but you should get confirmation that this method is allowed by Steam/Valve.

Electronic Punk

willalwaysbewithyou
Staff member
Political User
The CD requirement is a contractual agreement between Valve and Vivendi... part of the same deal with the original Half-life game ... which no longer requires the CD (and didn't after a few patches of the original game)

Kr0m

OSNN Veteran Addict
Sorry for going a bit off topic but I'm sort of interested in getting HL2 but I'm not so sure about steam. The last time I had steam installed I noticed it's a frickin bandwidth and resource hog, does this still apply? Do you NEED steam in order to use HL2 legally?

Electronic Punk

willalwaysbewithyou
Staff member
Political User
Yes you do mate.
Its not a resource hog tho, you just have to be patient and let it download what it needs to, to get everything updated.

So if I can do it on dial-up I am sure the rest of you can :)

American Zombie

Administrator
Staff member
Political User
Steam uses lots of memory on startup but if you minimize the main menu before closing it then this goes down to almost nothing.
In fact, anytime you see steam using lots of resources you can do this with any of the menu windows and it reduces memory usage of Steam.
Minimize then close not just close. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arrangel