Guest/limited account has more rights?

M

MajorCrunky431

Hello,

I have a graphics card with a TV-out facility. When I've used the Guest account or set up a limited account there is an icon in my system tray that allows me to adjust the TV-out settings. When I'm logged in as an administrator it is no longer there!

I've downloaded the Startup programme and I can see that all the accounts have the same HKLM and HKCU entries. Nothing is different apart from the account type.

The card is an S3 Savage and the programme is S3tray.exe.

I'm confused. Any ideas out there?

Many thanks,

MajorCrunky431

Is the program running (check the processes)? Is the icon perhaps hidden (either by the tray or by the program itself)?

Hello,

Thanks for answering. Yes, I've just looked at the processes and it is there but not in the system tray. I'm very confused.

Cheers,

Ian

Try disabling any autostart features for this "S3tray.exe" (So it doesnt load up automatically) and then just run the program and see if it adds the tray icon.

If it does, then just copy a shortcut to your startup folder on the Start/Programs for whichever account it is you want it for.

Hello,

I've already tried just running s3tray.exe and it still doesn't show up, very odd. It appears in Guest and any new "limited" accounts that I create but no Administrators. Very strange. Any more ideas?

Cheers m'dears.

No more ideas from me , sorry dude.. try contacting manufacturers??

Well matey, it's veeerrrry early in the mroningn here in Japan and I've drank as much beer as I can and no solution springs to mind. I'll look atb these posts again in the morning and tray again but i fear you may be right. pissed as i am (shit did england just draw?) i can see no solution. damn, i wish i was back in blighty. cheers anyway,

ha ha ha, my name is Pugh. am i a fireman? damn, that explains it"

You can edit the startup by using any tweak program, such as Tweak-XP (www.tweak-xp.com).

Tweak-XP makes it easy to edit startup programs for all users or just the current user.

Or, you can manually edit all users by doing:

Run regedit
Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Delete the TV out startup

The path for current user is:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Good luck.

Originally posted by MajorCrunky431
ha ha ha, my name is Pugh. am i a fireman? damn, that explains it"
Drinking and posting in a forum is a dangerous combination... :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back