Growl

muzikool

Act your wage.
Political Access
Growl is a free notification application that I've just started using. I'm sure some of you Mac users have it, but I wanted to post about it for those of you who hadn't heard of it.

Many OS X apps already have Growl compatibility built-in, so there's minimal configuration requirements. I'm currently using Growl for notification of events in iTunes, Mail and Skype. There are many other applications that are compatible, though.

The basic functionality of Growl is that it presents a small notification window (usually just under the time and Spotlight icon) when certain events happen in applications. In iTunes it presents the track information for each song that is played, for Mail it alerts you of new messages, and for Skype it notifies you of users coming and going and messages or files received. Growl is installed as a pane in System Preferences, and there you can choose which application events you want notification of. It's really simple and I've found it to be a nice addition to OS X. :)

http://growl.info/

It's one of the first things to be installed whenever I set-up a fresh copy of OS X :D

Yep love it, more and more things are using Growl for notification as well which is cool.

Most useful thing in my mind if the GrowlTunes thinger which shows you which song just started. Means you can nip those songs from your playlist that you arent too enthusiastic about in the bud before they really get going :p

Geffy said:
Yep love it, more and more things are using Growl for notification as well which is cool.

Most useful thing in my mind if the GrowlTunes thinger which shows you which song just started. Means you can nip those songs from your playlist that you arent too enthusiastic about in the bud before they really get going :p
It's even easier to do that with Menuet. (http://www.menuetapp.com/) it supports growl, and lets you skip right from the menu bar :)

Currently I've got growl plug-ins for:
  • Adium
  • Colloquy
  • CyberDuck
  • GrowlMail
  • KisMac
  • Meetro
  • Shiira
  • Menuet

nifty app.... I have it for my iBook, however it's disabled most of the time because it kinda gets anoying when i'm using too many things that are setup with it.

What have you got set-up with it ? The only time it can get annoying and fills my screen with notifications is when I open Mail after having it closed a few hours.

yes, mail does get annoying at times, however even itunes is anoying because i have a widget that controls itunes and if i keep skipping tracks to get to what i want it keeps coming up with the titles...

it's a really neat thing though for a custom looking desktop :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back