Google Chrome ... A browser to compete with FF and IE ...

I am running the Safari 4 beta from Apple, and compared to the stock Safari that Apple offers with it's OS and or is available for download it flies. It contains a newer version of WebKit, and is many times faster at rendering pages, and feels snappier. I was working on a stock system at school using Safari and it felt sluggish.

I want a mac :(

Yup ... It is definitely taken out of context:
The above misquoted paragraph is 11.1, it is the terms that are used for YouTube, Google Video and other services where you submit content.
Yep, same as Gmail and other services. I think Google pretty much just copy/pastes the ToS for each new service/App. :)

Yep, same as Gmail and other services. I think Google pretty much just copy/pastes the ToS for each new service/App. :)

Makes it simple, if you have read one, you have read em all :p

Was a bit disappointed with the stability. One of the selling points is supposed to be that if one tab locks up, the others should not crash since they all run as individual processes.

However I had a single tab lock up, and it crashed every tab on that instance of Chrome, and two other separate instances I had running in the background. Seems they still have a lot of work to do.

Luna, every tab is it's own instance. i had a tab lock up but leave all the other tabs functional. I had the flash player lock up and while the plug-in wasn't working across all the other tabs/widnows, all the content still loaded and I was still able to browse. I was able to use the chrome task manager to kill the plug-in process, reload the page and have teh flash content start back up.

That's why I am disappointed with it. I had 3 Chrome windows open, each with multiple tabs. One of the tabs locked up and crashed, and it took down all 3 browser windows along with the tabs.

At least if Firefox 3 crashes it offers to reload all the pages you had opened previously. Chrome offered nothing after the crash.

no no.. you misunderstand.. my experience was the exact opposite. I had one tab lock up but all my other windows and tabs functioned just fine.

there is also a session restore feature of sorts - basically, you can enable chrome to start with whatever tabs/windows you had open when you last closed it. Under the options, you set the option on startup to "restore the pages that were open last"

Since every process is called chrome.exe or whatever, how do you know which one to close if one is misbehaving?

I can understand from usage, but what if you have multiple tabs with a decent amount of usage? :eek:

chrome has a built-in task manager that shows each tab/process as well as certain plug-ins like flash player as a separate process that can each be killed independently.

edit: right-click on a chrome icon on your taskbar and/or right-click in an open area of the tab area to get to the chrome task-manager.

chrome has a built-in task manager that shows each tab/process as well as certain plug-ins like flash player as a separate process that can each be killed independently.

edit: right-click on a chrome icon on your taskbar and/or right-click in an open area of the tab area to get to the chrome task-manager.
I have read a bunch of reviews about this so far and I think that is by far my favorite feature. Memory usage and leaks always get bashed about for browsers, I think it's long overdue to find out which tab is actually doing the killing as it could be related to ****ty code from a particular site.

Other than that - people need to be fair with it since it's beta. I tried it a little, it's VERY fast IMO. It's open source and I am confident that Google will do great things with it down the road. My only concern is the fact that they are piecing together pieces from other vendors and browsers, and they need to stay current with security vulnerabilities as they are posted and make sure they patch 'em too. I'm sure they will learn from the mistake uncovered mere days after the launch, but that's a big one.

Browser usage for the browser has gone up pretty steadily already into 4th place IIRC. The RSS thing, or lack thereof, is dissapointing but I think over hyped.

At least if Firefox 3 crashes it offers to reload all the pages you had opened previously. Chrome offered nothing after the crash.

how to be an alternative for FF3 or IE when you give a browser lower.

Well, the source is available, you could go fix it ;)

Looks like the Skia and V8 stuff might make it into WebKit, wonder if there will be a Squirrelfish/V8 showdown. Skia also seems to be a lighter rendering engine than Cairo.

Read something the other night about people praising the "Inspect Element" context menu item, when thats actually just a feature of WebKit not Chrome :p

anyone else experience issues with Flash under Chrome that they do not get with IE? I'd like to switch to chrome completely, but the two killer apps that fail for me there are Flash (sometimes, can live with that as I hat Flash anyway)...

And the Squirrelmail app I use for my email hosted by Lord... Not sure what issue is there, cause alternatives like Horde fail too.... making me think about running an email app again to pop it onto my PC.... But hate overcomplicating things..... bleh :¦

[edit]stop press - Horde now works on Lords server and this functions fine with Chrome! Also is s superior app.... SOOOOooo if Flash would play ball I'd be sold... so far very impressed and shall not be investigating IE8 beta... I suspect the Flash issues may even be "Flash-side" so to speak, any opinions?[/edit]

[edit]false optimism - forgot I can READ emails fine, but SENDING they get lost and only under chrome - message is highly cryptic and useless - but my suspicion is it may be connected with site nto being a "trusted one" and the chrome handling of that...[/edit]

Last edited:
I'd actually recommend you use roundcube over horde or squirrel mail :)

Bingo! Roundcube worked for send also - reppage - and now all I need to fix is WHY oh WHY does the "make Chrome default browser" do absolutely nothing in Vista and, needless to say, Vista does not recognise it as an alternative browser (yet).

I'm not totally sold forever, but going to go with it for the forseeable on this machien anyway - what I like is that it does not go in and grab all resources right from the get go - so ultimately it may use (almost) identical CPU and Memory to IE when you are performing similar activities.... but it will only take the resources as you open extra tabs and ramp up your usage - so it comes across as nimble and relatively clean, which I like...

I must admit however I do miss the full screen F11 on a laptop - but by default I think I'm only losing under a centimetre of the screen... might offer that as feedback though....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back