• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Geforce FX 5800 Question

vern

Dominus
Political User
#1
I was wondering how many different version of GeForce FX 5800 there are? Is there a regular version of the 5800? and an Ultra version? I see some sites mentioning Ultra and some sites mentioning just 5800. On the Nvidia site, I see 5800 but I don't see 5800 Ultra. Are these two one and the same?
 

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
#2
Originally posted by vern
I was wondering how many different version of GeForce FX 5800 there are? Is there a regular version of the 5800? and an Ultra version? I see some sites mentioning Ultra and some sites mentioning just 5800. On the Nvidia site, I see 5800 but I don't see 5800 Ultra. Are these two one and the same?
5800 ultra == ddr II 500/500 memory/core
5800 regular = ddrII 400/400 memory/core

not the same..

the regular does not ship with the FLOW FX cooling system which is quite loud in 3d mode... though some vendors are using quiter solutions...

personally I would recommend getting an alternative card for the same price as the 5800 series of cards (i.e. nv30 lineup) if possible...
 

vern

Dominus
Political User
#3
Re: Re: Geforce FX 5800 Question

Originally posted by Sazar
5800 ultra == ddr II 500/500 memory/core
5800 regular = ddrII 400/400 memory/core

not the same..

the regular does not ship with the FLOW FX cooling system which is quite loud in 3d mode... though some vendors are using quiter solutions...

personally I would recommend getting an alternative card for the same price as the 5800 series of cards (i.e. nv30 lineup) if possible...
NV30 lineup? Wouldn't that be the GeForce FX 5800? Would it be wiser to go with a Radeon 9700 for now, and wait for the NV35 I've been reading about on some hardware sites? Would the 9700 last? It's about the same price as the GeForce FX 5800. Maybe 20 dollars more.
 

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
#4
Re: Re: Re: Geforce FX 5800 Question

Originally posted by vern
NV30 lineup? Wouldn't that be the GeForce FX 5800? Would it be wiser to go with a Radeon 9700 for now, and wait for the NV35 I've been reading about on some hardware sites? Would the 9700 last? It's about the same price as the GeForce FX 5800. Maybe 20 dollars more.
other cards that you buy is your option :)

the nv30 is not quite the product it was supposed to be...

nv35 is not bad... about the same level as a 9800pro... officially being released retail later this month though you might be able to get a card now online..

the 9700pro's are excellent cards... and should last just fine...
 

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
#6
Originally posted by vern
Thanks. 9700 Pro it is.
np...

btw... if you are getting any r300/350 card from ati or nv30/35 from nvidia... consider ensuring you have a GOOD power supply unit capable of 300-350W output (reocmmned @ least 350W if possible... though 300 should be adequate)

cheers...
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
61,961
Messages
673,239
Members
89,015
Latest member
evaiwhitis