• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Floppy Drive Question

madmatt

Bow Down to the King
Political User
It depends on your needs. Would you use a card reader? I think floppy drives are still a must have, but I personally wouldn't have a need for an 8 in 1 card reader.

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political User
I'd get a card reader, none of my computers have floppy drives they do have card readers though and they are fairly cheap.
The way i see it, with email so easy now you dont really need a floppy drive.

-Jack

bikemanAMD

OSNN Junior Addict
I may just get a standard floppy, I hard have a need for a card reader, but friend thought a card reader would be best..but I sorta don't think so, the one machine we have a card reader on, I don't even use it..but I do use floppy from time to time, for bios upgrades, and small file storage.

kcnychief

█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Political User
To further expand on Madmatt's point - you also should look at the cost difference. If a floppy is 10 or 20 bucks, and a card reader is less than 50% more, it may be a worthwhile investment if you currently have, or plan to get a digital camera/camcorder in the near future. The key to remember when a decision like this has to be made is what is your ROI (return on investment).

bikemanAMD

OSNN Junior Addict
Very True, and I will determine which is the best way to go when I'm ready to buy for sure, am not rushing to buy, since this drive is not an emergency replacement like a hard drive would be if that died, or CD-Burner(which is gonna be replaced with DVD Writer when it does die). will research and decide firmly which way to go.

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political User
Just a thought, but i dont use my card reader either, and i dont have a floppy but the few times i use it, i use it so i dont have to install any digital camera stuff, i just take the card out...

Do you have a local transfer station?

My town has one and if you do then you might consider checking there. my transfer station has a bunch of old pcs which no doubt have floppies... You might just take one from there to save the 20 bucks.

bikemanAMD

OSNN Junior Addict
There is some local PC shops, and cheapest local floppy i can find around, is $23.99 (Sony) if it's in stock when I go to local store to buy it, if not I"ll just get whatever else is there, and live with it.

If it was any other drive, I would've replaced it immediately--or my Monitor when that died in November right on Thanksgiving, I went on Black Friday and got a new LCD immediately. Geez it was crowded those days.

Picked up Sony SDM-HS95 LCD monitor--19 inch.

kcnychief

█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Political User
bikemanAMD said:
There is some local PC shops, and cheapest local floppy i can find around, is $23.99 (Sony) if it's in stock when I go to local store to buy it, if not I"ll just get whatever else is there, and live with it.

If it was any other drive, I would've replaced it immediately--or my Monitor when that died in November right on Thanksgiving, I went on Black Friday and got a new LCD immediately. Geez it was crowded those days.

Picked up Sony SDM-HS95 LCD monitor--19 inch.
Can get this one for $9.99 plus S/H from newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16821103116

Probably cheaper at other e-tailers too :)

bikemanAMD

OSNN Junior Addict
Thank you Kcnychief, since my Case is beige, I only have to Pay $7.99 plus shipping for that Beige One--same brand, just different color. So I'll wait and get that then.

Well $7.99 thru New Egg lol, Officemax wants $23.99 for internal Sony Floppy drive.

Admiral Michael

Michaelsoft Systems CEO
Don't forget that with XP you almost need a floppy to install onto a SATA drive (if you haven't slipstreamed the drivers).

I have a hardcano 13 (fan controller + card reader) and I use the card reader to transfer pic since its a hellava lot faster then going through the camera.

I wouldn't get one of those floppy/card reader combos.

kcnychief

█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Political User
bikemanAMD said:
Thank you Kcnychief, since my Case is beige, I only have to Pay $7.99 plus shipping for that Beige One--same brand, just different color. So I'll wait and get that then.

Well $7.99 thru New Egg lol, Officemax wants $23.99 for internal Sony Floppy drive.
B&M Stores are always more expensive than online stores such as NewEgg, ZipZoomFly, etc.

B&M = Brick and Mortar (physical store presence).

bikemanAMD

OSNN Junior Addict
Yeah I decided not to get a Floppy/Card reader combo, and just get the floppy alone, and I don't Have serial ata drivers slipstreamed at all into my Windows XP CD, don't even have Serial ATA hard drive yet, but I plan on getting one when I eventually replace 60gb hard drive from 2001.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loxioalix