Flip4Mac - Windows Media for QuickTime

NetRyder

Tech Junkie
With Windows Media® Components for QuickTime, by Flip4Mac™, you can play Windows Media files (.wma and .wmv) directly in QuickTime Player and view Windows Media content on the Internet using a Web browser.

Optimized for High-Definition Playback

Windows Media® Components for QuickTime has been highly optimized for Power Mac G4 and G5 computers and supports playback of high-definition Windows Media video files.

Upgrade to Advanced Features

Windows Media playback is provided free of charge. By purchasing an upgrade directly from Flip4Mac, you can import Windows Media files for editing and create Windows Media files for distribution. To learn more about these advanced features, visit the Flip4Mac Web site.

System Requirements
• Mac OS X version 10.3.9 or later
• QuickTime version 6.5 or later
More info: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/flip4mac.mspx

Thought you Mac folks would find this useful. ;)

I saw that. It would be nice if Apple did the same for WMP users.

madmatt said:
I saw that. It would be nice if Apple did the same for WMP users.
This plugin isn't created by Microsoft. It's just being endorsed on the Windows Media site.
That said, I agree - it would be nice to have a DirectShow filter that would allow us to play back QuickTime movies in WMP. :)

I hate how they've integrated Quicktime so tightly with iTunes.

Grandmaster said:
Well I want to do it the other way around :p
Oh ok. Yeah, that won't work. iTunes uses QT for its basic playback functionality. :D

Don't see why everyone is linking it from the Microsoft site: http://www.flip4mac.com/wmv.htm

It's not even a new product, I was using it months and months ago in beta. The fact that it's free is a new aspect is all.

edit: for reference, it doesn't work with the latest version of Quicktime that most people will have upgraded to recently. However, it's a known issue that's been worked on. Niff.

SPeedY_B said:
It's not even a new product, I was using it months and months ago in beta. The fact that it's free is a new aspect is all.
Didn't know. Just saw it posted in a few places earlier today, figured some of you here would be interested, and posted it. :D

It is a nice product, I will say that. It works great. Just not so much at the moment... at least until a fix for the new QT is released :)

NetRyder said:
Oh ok. Yeah, that won't work. iTunes uses QT for its basic playback functionality. :D
yeah, but you have to download quicktime everytime theres a itunes update. annoying

I was about to post about this here and then saw the thread. I've been putting off getting this because of the $10 price tag. Well, it's free now! :D

NetRyder said:
This plugin isn't created by Microsoft. It's just being endorsed on the Windows Media site.
That said, I agree - it would be nice to have a DirectShow filter that would allow us to play back QuickTime movies in WMP. :)

QT Alternative

I'm sure you are well aware of this, just thought I'd throw it on in here.

Mastershakes said:
QT Alternative

I'm sure you are well aware of this, just thought I'd throw it on in here.

That's not an OS X-compatible program.

If you don't want to use QuickTime on a Mac then you should use VLC.

Mastershakes said:
err. was talking bout Windows?

I took it as NetRyder talking about Windows, yes.

I would be nice if Mac users could view WM* files using QuickTime or whatever and Windows users being able to view QuickTime files in WMP. To be honest I don't see why in heck they can't come to a mutual business agreement to do this. Maybe someday.

I give Microsoft credit for suggesting another product since they are ending production and support for a Mac version of WMP.

rotjong

PS: It's not like I like QT or WMP but I do think that by default one should be able to play the differing formats on said OS w/o extra BS involved.

The update has been released for use with QT 7.0.4

I've just installed it and deleted WMP9 from my system. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back