Final Fantasy 7 / Graphics Card Problem

Jaythediv

OSNN Newbie
Hi, I'm really sorry if this is inappropriate.

But I recently bought the pc version of final fantasy 7, and it won't let me use my graphics card(6800gt), instead it forces 'software renderer', i think because it fails on being able to do '8-bit palettes'.
I have downloaded a patch for nvidia cards, but it's very old, and only for riva and TNT cards - it screws the graphics up on mine. It shows 3d objects fine, but the backgrounds go completely black and the writing is distorted.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a newer patch, or way to make it work properly on my card (software rendering looks so bad, and i remember the backgrounds being so nice...:cry:)

If this shouldn't be here, please any mods delete it.

Last edited:
Thread titled modified.

Please be more specific with your thread titles so other users know what the thread is about. Thank you.

I wonder if you make the game win98 compatible if that will help.

Thread titled modified.

Please be more specific with your thread titles so other users know what the thread is about. Thank you.
Sorry about that - and cheers for changing it :)

"I wonder if you make the game win98 compatible if that will help."
Cheers mate, but i've tried that and it doesn't help.

Its because the card is too new , I never found a work around when I had the problem , you could try older drivers alot older, there might be a way to edit a file to add your videocard as one listed in the games database of cards, not sure if that is possible though.

do you have a copy of win98, how about just creating a dual boot to play the game within 98.

is Ms giving it away free now.

if not i have a copy you can have.

do you have a copy of win98, how about just creating a dual boot to play the game within 98.

is Ms giving it away free now.

if not i have a copy you can have.

That's very generous of you - thanks for the offer, but it's not that big of an issue (I can still play in software mode) and I think it's a problem with my graphics card not supporting the 8-bit paletted textures or whatever.

Looking about i found another site which said that newer graphics cards don't support it, so you just have to play in software mode.

Thankyou very much for all the help though :)
Guess i'll just have to make do.

THe game was written to work best with 3dfx voodoo2 and voodoo 3 - that fact it worked with anything else back then was a bonus. You wont get it working now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back