• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Files etc. transfer wizard

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
I just wanted to ask if anyone has ever successfully used this?

Having just built my AMD64 rig and having a Maxtor external USB/Firewire drive (plus network router) I thought this would be a handy option - but I have yet to make it work for me. Typically it says it has made the file from the old machine - then I go to the new and browse to it on the external device and it tells me it is not a valid transfer directory/file. I think something is going wrong with the writing part because it was popping up yellow triangles saying Windows had a pending write it could not finish.... Yet I had used the "safely dismount" feature for the drive and anyway the Wizard said it had finished :confused:

Maybe I need to try a network option? Just thought I would ask around here first... If I ever resolve it I will post back too....

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
cross reference

Since I made this thread this has come up! So I am a bit distracted until I have all of both my hard drives there!

Anyway, I think I see where you are going, and no I do not want to close the existing 40GB system partition I haveon my old machine - I was just going to see what got taken across with the Wizard (as it happens, like most people I do not mind too much retweaking my new rig and running from a clean format/install).

If you look at that thread you will see this is on hold - I am going to have to reformat it looks like anyway to reclaim my full drive space! :eek:

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loxioalix