Fastest IDE HDD

R

Rascal

OK, what in your opinion is the fastest IDE HDD?

I'll narrow it down for you....must be minimum 7200 rpm with 8mb cache.....

Anyone know of a higher spec than that?

I would go with the maxtor diamond 9 series... 8mb cache ata 133...

the serial ata standard should soon bring about ata 150 ide drives..

if you want faster go with scsi :)

but for now I would go with the maxtor diamond series... fast and quiet (liquid bearings)

Maxtor Diamond 9, anything faster then that, you need to go with SCSI drive :)

Or you could go with IDE RAID (striped). 2 40GB IDE drives, even 5400 rpm, would work pretty good I think; and getting 2 drives and an IDE RAID controller may be cheaper than a decent sized SCSI drive....

Originally posted by scriptasylum
Or you could go with IDE RAID (striped). 2 40GB IDE drives, even 5400 rpm, would work pretty good I think; and getting 2 drives and an IDE RAID controller may be cheaper than a decent sized SCSI drive....

well a 5400 drive is generally slower than a 7200 rpm drive..

better to get a faster hdd to start with... and take advantage of serial ata which is faster than regular raid controllers...

raid controllers max out @ ata 133... whereas serial ata is rated @ ata150... better that than a 5400rpm drive

I was quoting 5400 rpm drives because they are quite cheap these days. Obviously 7200 rpm drives would work better. And SCSI and Serial ATA even better. It was just a relatively inexpensive option for performance and capacity. ;)

Originally posted by Rascal
OK, what in your opinion is the fastest IDE HDD?

I'll narrow it down for you....must be minimum 7200 rpm with 8mb cache.....

Anyone know of a higher spec than that?

and I was looking at the original post :)

there is no mention of costs related or lower performance options...

yup.. I wanted to buy it BUT there was none in stock so I went with the 2mb version... it is still uber fast :) so you can just image what the 8mb version will be like...

much faster than the ata100 drives from IBM and WD that have 8mb cache...

I just love maxtor's I have 3 right now :)

I was curious about the Maxtor Drives, but for some reason I just have stuck to the WD Drives.

Is the Maxtor 9 really that fast?

If anyone has it could you maybe run a benchmark in Sandra, just so I can see where i'm at.

Thanks

I dont know if I Believe Sandra's Disk Benchmarks. I had two 4 year old ATA33 5400RPM drives scoring higher then the ATA66 configurations.. and only 3000 or so off from the ATA100.

Maxtor is the only drive i would consider getting, i have a 40gb 7200rpm and 80gb 7200rpm drive, and they are excellent and very reliable! :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back