Excel - how to count cells with data

ray_gillespie

Staff member
Political User
Hi guys,

I've got an excel spreadsheet which lists the Channel 4 Top 100 films in column A, alongside a "yes" or a blank cell in column B to indicate whether I have seen the film.

For example:

A_________________B
Star Wars_________Yes
Godfather_________Yes
Some Like It Hot____
Alien_____________Yes
Gladiator__________Yes
Is there any way of having the last row in the table add up the number of 'yes's?

For example:

A_________________B
Star Wars_________Yes
Godfather_________Yes
Some Like It Hot____
Alien_____________Yes
Gladiator__________Yes
________________4
Basisally, the formula needs to check each cell for the word "yes" or even just having data present (as I'm not using a "No", just leaving it blank when I've not seen the film) and then count up how many it is.

Any help will be much appreciated and result it reps flying your way! :)

Thanks.

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Staff member
Political User
=SUM(B3:B1037) change the numbers to reflect the start cell and end cell - for example =SUM(B3:B100) - the more you add just change the last part of the sum

LeeJend

OSNN Veteran Addict
That doesn't work. Sum only works on numbers.

Use the counta function instead of sum. You could have found this yourself by typing "count entries" in excel help. I'm so sorry to find out both of your arms are broken...

:p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poseeut