DVDRW problem

trackrat

Birmingham UK
I have just put together a computer for my nephew, specs as follows.
Asus A8N SLi motherboard
AMD X2 3800 processor
Crucial 2 X 1gb DDR400
Samsung 160gb HD SATA
ATI X300 PCI-e graphics card
LG DVDRW SATA drive
Sony DVD Rom IDE drive
Antec case
Antec 380w PSU
XP Home OEM.

I have not used a SATA DVDRW before and it shows up in the BIOS, but I cannot install XP home from it.
It installs from the DVDRom (which is on an IDE connection) with no problems, am I missing something or is it a problem with SATA DVDRW's and XP Home?.

You need to make sure that you have your SATA drivers on the XP install disc.

Yes, I think you need an XP disc with SP2 integrated before you can boot from the CD-ROM. Either get one of these, slipstream one yourself or put up with using the IDE :)

some older boards wont support booting from sata dvd/dvdrw even if they are recognised in the bios.

only thing you can do is make sure that the sata mode isnt on RAID.

or you could check for a bios update.

or just instal from the ide dvdrom... the sata dvdrw will work fine once in windows

most newer boards (sktam2 & 775's) work fine

Just for giggles, try slipstreaming the drivers for your SATA chipset into an XPSP2 install disc.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back