dumb subnetting question

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political Access
Trying to updated a Cisco 4400 WLC through TFTPD, which is the tftp server Cisco says to use. I have all the software I need but it won't communicate. I have only one guess as to why. Cisco says the server and the WLC need to be on the same subnet. The WLC is on 192.168.99.100 and TFTP server is at 192.168.96.69. Would I need to have the server be on a .99.xxx address as well? Is that what it means by same subnet? I'm not much of a networking guy.

I think they mean the server and WLC need to be under the same router.

they don't need to be under the same router.. same subnet is correct.

Assuming you're using a /24 subnet (ie: your subnet mask is 255.255.255.0) then yes, they both need to have the same first 3 octets the same to be on the same subnet.

If you're trying to updated the WLC through the service port, then yes - they will need to be on the same subnet as the service port is not routable. If you are updating through one of the distribution ports, they should not require you to be on the same subnet.

I finally got it.

It was either the subnet problem or a problem with my TFTPD setup. I don't know which it was, all I care about is that it's working and I don't need to worry about ARP storms anymore.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back