do i NEED thermal paste?

Originally posted by xsivforce
The pad will work in a pinch. But, seriously, get yourself some Arctic Silver III. A very thin layer.

I think he trusts beer judgement over the info he requested from us :)

thermal pad should work fine per se but will not really cool it much...

Originally posted by Sazar
I think he trusts beer judgement over the info he requested from us :)

Nah, I trusstts you guys, yor my palzzz...lol

I intend to pop some grease on there as soon as I can. Anybody got an open tube hanging around? Think about it, it only takes a dab...there must be millions of opened tubes around the world!! LOL

Originally posted by freightgod
Nah, I trusstts you guys, yor my palzzz...lol

I intend to pop some grease on there as soon as I can. Anybody got an open tube hanging around? Think about it, it only takes a dab...there must be millions of opened tubes around the world!! LOL
heh, yeah. i've used my tube probably 15 times and it's not even half used. one of the very rare times $8 goes a long away in the computer world.

I got a Coolermaster HAC-V81 "X Dream" cooler not too long ago. It's been a dream, you can adjust the speed by a little dial on the back of your pci slots. It's quite amazing, even with the stock cooling compound it was 10 degrees cooler than stock. I love it! But I'm going to get some arctic silver 3 as soon as I can justify paying 6 dollars for shipping....

Radio Shack will (or should) carry the plain white grease. It's not as good as Arctic Silver, but it's better than nothing. I think they have like a 2gram tube for something like $4 US.

As a Volcano 7+ owner, I can say it works OK. It IS loud though, esp on HI speed. So, I keep it on MED most of the time. Temps are about 41C idle. After playing NFS-HP2 for about an hour or so, my temps are about 48C. And, the HSF is HEAVY! It's a good thing I got the 3 lug clip instead of the original single lug version they had at first. Oh, and it looks nice. :)

Although it beats pants off my stock fan, the Volcano 7 is also purty durn loud...looks like I'll be hunting for another one eventually. How is the Coolermaster HAC-V81 "X Dream" for noise? Sounds pretty good for someone like me who doesn't overclock...I could set it to the minimum speed necessary manually instead of relying on a temp sensor.

I got the HHC-001 =)

The damned jet engine fan annoyed me =P

I replaced it with a 80mm fan with a little 80 -> 60mm adapter =P

btw... Happy New Years from down Under =)

freightgod: It's okay on noise, but the clip can interfere if you have a fan underneath your powersupply. The clip is so big that it might run into your fan, it ALMOST does with mine, but it barely fits. Otherwise, installation is a cinch, and if you set it on the lowest setting, the only thing you can hear is the whine of your case fan and p.s. fans. It's 15 bucks a newegg.com too! Can't beat that with a stick. I'd probibly go with arctic silver though instead of the included thermal compound, but that's just me.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back