deep throat; patriot or traitor?

You're link is related to the discussion... He might have profited, though I'm not sure if "follow the money" wasn't more in reference to what happened then...

tbh, I don't know how pure his motives were. He might have had a self serving interest, or he might have intended good. I don't know the man well enough to know what his motives were; albeit in all honesty, I'm glad the revelations of the scandal, and the aftermath, including the holding of those responsible, had happened. I think the nation would have been worse off, if Watergate never broke...

Aprox said:
I havnt been following this thread, but I was browsing through google news and I saw this:
http://business.bostonherald.com/businessNews/view.bg?articleid=87823

Sorry if it doesnt help or anything, just figured I would throw something in the fire :p

No big deal, dime a dozen half-wits sell their stories. Many people have made a lot of money on his behalf thus far. If selling his story now nets him some extra cash at 91, so be it.

Woodward and co are the prime cash/money peeps, not Felt. Companies now that they know him will want to milk him because they know it will net them money. Examples in recent memory, Lynch.

Saw this, while browsing the news tonight... Gives Woodward's own account. Further it seems, whatever one's views might be concerning Felt; he didn't seek the media out in this. It looks like it was a chance encounter, though Felt had "steered him" towards exposing the scandal after they did meet... It doesn't look like Felt was actively seeking the media out at the time however...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4602567.stm

A chance meeting in a White House waiting room sparked Bob Woodward's relationship with his Watergate source Deep Throat, the reporter has revealed.
Woodward, writing in the Washington Post, said his "accidental encounter" with Mark Felt happened before he had started work as a journalist.

Mr Felt, a former deputy FBI chief, steered Woodward and his colleague Carl Bernstein towards exposing the scandal.

But his first help came in the form of careers advice in 1970, Woodward says.

The two men met in a West Wing waiting room when Woodward was a young navy lieutenant acting as a courier for an admiral.

Woodward extracted from Mr Felt that he was an assistant director in the FBI - and started quizzing him about this secret world.

"As I think back on this accidental but crucial encounter - one of the most important in my life - I see that my patter probably verged on the adolescent," Woodward writes.

"Since he wasn't saying much about himself, I turned it into a career-counselling session."

Woodward was suffering "considerable anxiety" about his future, he says, and after a long chat with the older man, was given his direct telephone number...

As to motives, the suggestion from the other party in this revelation:

On Mr Felt's motives, Woodward says he "believed he was protecting the bureau by finding a way, clandestine as it was, to push some of the information from the FBI interviews and files out to the public, to help build public and political pressure to make Nixon and his people answerable".

Woodward adds: "He had nothing but contempt for the Nixon White House and their efforts to manipulate the bureau for political reasons."

Given the account here, I'm not really convinced he was after the money at the time, though for obvious reasons Woodward would have benefited from a breaking story... There meeting wasn't planned however.... It could be argued that perhaps he had an axe to grind with the Nixon white house, based on the last paragraph, but he could have just as easily been good intentioned (or perhaps both, at the same time)...

Sazar said:
Undoubtedly. The odd thing to me is that so far most people who have been perturbed by Deep Throat have been those who had jail time because of their illegal activities.

AMEN Brother... LOL

I have to concede however, that while they were probablly bitching cause they got caught, their point was valid... what he did was illegal too...

Even if I agree he needed to expose the truth, like it has been said many times in this thread, its HOW he did it.

:)

here's the question;

what would have happened if he HADN'T done it the way he did it?

nothing would have happened...this is more then obvious, he couldn't do the research that Woodward did, and the information would NOT have been compiled

a single man who we trusted as our president would have gotten away with his criminal activity, and he would have been able to use the awesome power of his office to circumvent the government of America.

when things like this are "brought through proper channels" the activities are usually shoved under the rug.

Nixon would not have been exposed as the criminal he was.

no one has said it on this thread, but I think some people believe America would be better off if Nixon wasn't exposed as a criminal

those are people that would rather have a dictator then a president, because they want their president to be able to act as though the office of the President is toy for personal use

today, there are similar activities;

"officials" using our national resources to manipulate American policy and direct national policy toward their personal agenda.

there are those that have tried to expose the agenda "through proper channels"...this method has often failed

and done that way, criminals continue with their criminal activity

we'll never know if Nixon would have been exposed as the criminal he was if this was done according to "protocol"...but I think most of us believe he would not have been exposed

as many have said...there is a fine line between patriotism and treason

when we are to judge the fine line men have walked for the good of the country, we must use hind site as our measure

what a man needs to accomplish for the good of his country is his test

what became of his action is his measure

in hind site, we see that a criminal who thought the office of President, and the awesome power at his fingertip was his own personal tool and he could use it to accomplish his own selfish agenda was exposed

that's the measure

Last edited:
perris said:
here's the question;

what would have happened if he HADN'T done it the way he did it?

nothing would have happened...this is more then obvious, he couldn't do the research that woodward did, and the information would NOT have been compiled

a single man who we trusted as our president would have used gotten away with using the national arms of enforcement to circumvent the government of America.

when things like this are "brought through proper channels" the activities are usually shoved under the rug.

nixon would not have been exposed as the criminal he was.

no one has said it on this thread, buy I think some people believe America would be better off if Nixon wasn't exposed as a criminal

those are people that would rather have a dictator then a president, because they want their president to be able to act as though the office of the President is toy for personal use

"officials" using our national resources to manipulate American policy and direct national policy toward their personal agenda.

there are those that have "done it through proper channels"

and done that way, criminals continue with their criminal activity

we'll never know if Nixon would have been exposed as the criminal he was if this was done according to "protocol"...but I think most of us believe he would not have been exposed

as many have said...there is a fine line between patriotism and treason

in such a case, where the fine line is hard to distinguish, we must use hindsite as our measure

what a man needs to do for the good of his country is his test

what became of his action is his measure

in hindsite, we see that a criminal who thought the office of President, and the ausome power at his fingertip was his own personal tool and he could use it to accomplish his own selfish agenda was exposed

that's the measure

Hey Hey hey... go back and re-read my previous post... I know what he did NEEDED to be done... and I know he did it the only way he knew would work... Im just saying it wasnt LEGAL, thats all ...dont get all ruffled... you gave me Kudos and Reps before... REMEMBER??

(which I might add I havent seen hehehee)

mlakrid said:
Hey Hey hey... go back and re-read my previous post... I know what he did NEEDED to be done... and I know he did it the only way he knew would work... I'm just saying it wasn't LEGAL, thats all ...dont get all ruffled... you gave me Kudos and Reps before... REMEMBER??

(which I might add I haven't seen heehee)
my post isn't a response to yours, it's a response to the thread in general

few people know what I'm about to say;

there is no law that is not decided as the action stands...a jury (and a judge) is entitled to hold the law to account as well as the person charged with the "crime"

and an individual situation can easily be "legal" even though "laws" seem to have been broken

for instance, "justifiable homicide"

I could also break into someones house if I hear screaming and I think life is in peril

those are obvious examples, but unique examples abound

there are times when a jury will find a person innocent of a law he clearly broke, because the charge did not suit the circumstance

our system of justice provides for exemption from the "written law"...it's the spirit of the law that prevails or should prevail

in other words, I don't think it was "illegal" even though he might have committed action that the law does not provide

BTW

I've been finger happy with my rep button...you'll get some when the board allows me to do it

Last edited:
perris said:
my post isn't a response to yours, it's a response to the thread in general...
...in other words, I don't think it was "illegal" even though he might have committed action that the law does not provide for...
btw...
I've been finger happy with my rep button...you'll get some when the board allows me to do it

Ahhh ok I guess I got sensitive because yours was posted merely minutes after mine...

Yea I know what ya mean, I like the fact he did it, I just wish there had ben another way instead of looking like a traitor... Oh well....

and.. THANKS!

hehe

perris said:
no one has said it on this thread, but I think some people believe America would be better off if Nixon wasn't exposed as a criminal

I think more of it has to do with some people hold loyalty to the man who the President happens to be, to be synonymous with patriotism itself.

I've been in these discussions in the past, (and though I don't think it would be appropriate to re-hash it all here, nor do I have any desire), but I'll give very brief mention, leaving names and what not out of it... I've had times when I've discussed some of Bush's policies which I have issue with (bringing this back to the present), and the responce I've gotten was been essentially...

How can you? Either you can stand up and support your President, or you can sit in the seat of the scornful, like the accuser of the brethern mentioned in Revelations... George Bush is a great spiritual Avatar who masterfully descended upon the air craft carrier...

The reaction was almost as if by discussing policy in a way that wasn't all glowing concerning the present office holder, in some people's view I was attacking their god :eek: I spoke because I really do have concern for my own nation, and because I didn't think the policy was good/could have negative consequences for us as a nation, and a people. Had I no concern for this country of ours and not simply to condemn; it would have been easier to keep my mouth shut... So now I'm the Accuser of the Brethern and some kind of devil? OMG :D

But all said, I'm not so convinced many people want so much the office of the Presidency to be used as a toy for the President's own use, and abuse; but rather they perhaps don't make a distinction between the office and it's holder. They see loyalty to one as synonimous to loyalty to the other.

And pulling this back to the actions of Nixon's time (for which we do know how criminal the actions back then had been); but what happens when the office holder violates the very principles upon which this nation was founded? I would say he then should be called out upon that, but the very notion, at least seems to be an afront to some... I'm not convinced they all mean badly by their position (and their understanding of it), though it is one I can't support...

perris said:
few peole know what i'm about to say;

there is no law that is not decided as the action stands...a jury (and a judge) is entitled to hold the law to account as well as the person charged with the "crime"

and an individual situation can easily be "legal" even though "laws" seem to have been brokien

...there are times when a jury will find a person innocent of a law he clearly broke, because the charge did not suit the cirmumstance

our system of justice provides for exemption from the "written law"...it's the spirit of the law that prevails or should prevail

This would be consitent with, for instance self defence, where a person who killed another person would not likely be convicted by a jurty when their motive and intent was to save their own life. It would yes, be called justifiable homicide.

What you're saying here, is in part my thoughts upon the matter. Someone mentioned in another forum that our nation is based in part upon a history of civil disobediance. To some degree this is true. The Boston Tea Party, resisting the taxes of England at the time of the colonies, and various ideas leading up to the American Revolution. In fact having a revolution period would not be consistent with blindly following whatever, because some power determined to make it so. The opening words of the Declaration of Independence hold anotehr idea.

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. --That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.

It's not my intention to suggest that people should just become long bearded rebels or the like. However there are times where to merely acquisese to something, regardless of the consequences can be, quite frankly dangerious. There's a rather fine line here, and an extremly subtle point. I'm not sure words are always adequate enough to convey the subtlety here, at least that I have seen.

Edit: Sorry, in trying to chop up the 2 posts, my original words got lost. I'm trying to re-construct what I said from memory (and doubt it came out as well the second time as the first)...

Last edited:
son goku said:
perris said:
few peole know what i'm about to say;

and an individual situation can easily be "legal" even though "laws" seem to have been brokien

...there are times when a jury will find a person innocent of a law he clearly broke, because the charge did not suit the cirmumstance

This would be consitent with, for instance self defence, where a person who killed another person would not likely be convicted by a jurty when their motive and intent was to save their own life. It would yes, be called justifiable homicide.

What you're saying here, is in part my thoughts upon the matter. Someone mentioned in another forum that our nation is based in part upon a history of civil disobediance. To some degree this is true. The Boston Tea Party, resisting the taxes of England at the time of the colonies, and various ideas leading up to the American Revolution. In fact having a revolution period would not be consistent with blindly following whatever, because some power determined to make it so. The opening words of the Declaration of Independence hold anotehr idea.

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. --That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.

It's not my intention to suggest that people should just become long bearded rebels or the like. However there are times where to merely acquisese to something, regardless of the consequences can be, quite frankly dangerious. There's a rather fine line here, and an extremly subtle point. I'm not sure words are always adequate enough to convey the subtlety here, at least that I have seen.

Edit: Sorry, in trying to chop up the 2 posts, my original words got lost. I'm trying to re-construct what I said from memory (and doubt it came out as well the second time as the first)...
/shivers of appreciation...well written..bravo

Last edited:
I think a better question to ask is whether or not Nixon was a patriot or a traitor?

Because all "Deep Throat" did was blow the Nixon Administration's cover. A crime had been committed. Would it have been better off if the Nixon Administration got away with a serious crime?

Melon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think a better question to ask is whether or not Nixon was a patriot or a traitor?

Because all "Deep Throat" did was blow the Nixon Administration's cover. A crime had been committed. Would it have been better off if the Nixon Administration got away with a serious crime?
well, his actions were criminal, possibly treasonous, but even so, I don't think he was a traitor, I think he was overzealous...seduced by the awesome power of the office

power will corrupt...absolute power will corrupt ever more

our charge as Americans is to keep the vigil, we must try our best to prevent the corruption of those we entitle to power

as media has been given free reign to consolidate into multi wealthy coalitions, it must be wealthy influenced, and it will seek to mask the activities of the people that beck to their call, it is almost impossible to be vigil against the corruption that must occur

Last edited:
While sort of on topic, what are the views of those who believe Felt was treasonous or a traiter when regarding Robert Novak?

I may be a little confused here but isn't a patriot supposed to put their ties to their country before their allegiance to power? Yes, he might have gone about it the wrong way...but to call him a traitor to the american Ideal is rather absurd isn't it? If he was going to cash out on any money deals why would he wait until he was developing alzheimers to do it?

falconguard said:
I may be a little confused here but isn't a patriot supposed to put their ties to their country before their allegiance to power? Yes, he might have gone about it the wrong way...but to call him a traitor to the american Ideal is rather absurd isn't it? If he was going to cash out on any money deals why would he wait until he was developing alzheimers to do it?
Good post. I think people are a little to eger to use the term "traitor" these days. If your doing something to help or better your country the term cannot apply. He wasn't giving top secret information out to the highest bidder on the black market, he was trying to bring down injustice that had cropped up in the White House.

Unwonted said:
I can see the movie tagline now:

Deep Throat: How One Man Opened His Mouth to Take on Dick

As a side note: corruption is corruption, big or small. I don't like how he did it (breaking the law to catch lawbreakers), but at least he kept wrongdoing in check.

The headline of the Boston Herald read something like "Deep Throat coughs it up". Had me wondering whom they meant. At first it seemed more a headline for Hustler or something.

Liam2198 said:
The headline of the Boston Herald read something like "Deep Throat coughs it up". Had me wondering whom they meant. At first it seemed more a headline for Hustler or something.

Thats gotta be the funniest headline i have ever heard :laugh:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back