dead HD

epk

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
So this morning i got up, got breakfast and went to turn on my pc

an ugly image of "no boot media detected" or something like that greeted me

tried restarting thinking something got messed up in the bios but an even nastier surprise awaited for me... the hard disk is gone from my sata devices list!

i dont know what the hell happened.. yesterday it was workin perfectly, not a single error
and today is gone... plus its only 5 months old :S

does anyone know any way to fix it, or at least get some of my data back? (at least my school works would be good)

i wanna give it a try on my own.. i've called a few "pro" data retrievers and it costs more than 500$, and most likely they have to open it, which would void the warranty (so i gotta add an extra drive to that)

if its not showing up in the device list the first thing to check is all the cables are firmly attached. If that doesn't achieve anything and you have spare replacement cables swap them over.

If that doesn't work: Congratulations its dead as a door nail :D

epk

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
damn, u're both right

it is one of those and it seems to be as dead as they get
im gonna beg the guys where i got it if they can fix it instead of replacing it, but i won't hold my breath

ElementalDragon

The One and Only
doubt they'll be able to fix it. the Seagate 7200.11 drives have been plagued by failure, which Seagate denied at first, then promptly released a firmware update for. Sadly i don't think the firmware will be able to be updated if the drive isn't even detectable.

Don't feel bad. I had a 7200.11 drive die just over a month after i got it. And this was MONTHS before Seagate mentioned anything. Think it was back around early '08 that my drive kicked the bucket out of nowhere. i had next to no warning.

epk

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
yeah.. after ur previous post i did some digging and found that its everywhere, and seems to be unfixable

i just hope i get a bug-free one in return.. or ill try to update firmware first thing
but im also getting an external hd for backups.. and from WD, lol, no more seagate

epk

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
yea.. speakin of which

i got a replacement today
model # and firmware seem to be the ones that eventually die... but if i check the serial number on the site it says i dont need to update the firmware
should i risk doing it? or should i risk trusting them?

now i wish i would've gotten a WD.. like always :/

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Staff member
Political User
some people have had issues with the firmware - i would suggest taking it back and getting a different one, you may have to spend a few $$ more but at least you will have piece of mind :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poseeut