crossover xp to xp

AngEviL

OSNN Newbie
i have a bit of a problem, seems simple at first.

i used to have a shared connection, xp to xp, files and cable internet

now i've upgraded my system, server to xp pro sp1, and 2nd to xp home sp1. also internet is through a telephone service, ADSL. telephone line -> modem -> USB. ethernet is used for crossover

no matter how i look at it, the network just doesnt work. ran wizard several times on both computers.
server sees the network and sends packets to it, they are never returned. but that's about the only thing, he cannot ping the client in any way, IP or name. second one doesn even less. cant send packets, cannot receive, cant ping, only sees that a cable is plugged in.
they are both in the same workgroup, but they can only see themselves in network places

server has
ip 192.168.2.2
mask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.2.1
DNS server 192.168.2.1

network connections are
1394 connection (crossover)
local area connection (the nework)
local area connection 3 (internet whis is shared, no firewall)

2nd has
ip 192.168.2.3
mask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.2.2
DNS 192.168.2.1

Network Conncetions:
Local Area Network

CP/IP over NETBios is enabled on both
simple file sharing is enabled
All windows firewalls are turned off. I have only another firewall, and it is turned off when im setting up the network.
Also ive reinstalled windows on both computers. Tried to connect them several times with and without the network wizard.

This is frustrating me so much, i just need a shed of light as how to get my network runnig, or at least the internet. Thanks in advance.

AngEviL said:
2nd has
ip 192.168.2.3
mask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.2.2
DNS 192.168.2.1
try changing the 2nd gateway to 192.168.2.1 like the first one coz it's supposed to be looking for that gateway to connect

If you are using ICS, do not set static IP's, let them be assigned via DHCP. IIRC ICS must use the 192.168.0. network segment for some reason.

I would seriously consider avoiding ICS and investing in a good ADSL modem/router combo - most of them also come with a built in 10/100 switch so crossover cables shouldn't be required either.

I have a Netgear DG814 for sale. £40 secures.

I agree with Electronic punk man, linksys make a good usb adsl/router this way all your hassles dissapear.

lancer said:
I agree with Electronic punk man, linksys make a good usb adsl/router this way all your hassles dissapear.

Yeah, the Wireless G ADSL Gateway springs to mind!
I couldn't find that when I was out and about looking to purchase one.

So went with the D-Link equivelent ... pretty nice :)

thanks for the help guys.

i'll see if i can buy one, or look into your offer :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back