• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Creating a new wireless network using an USB WiFi dongle

I have a computer which is connected to the internet through a wired ethernet-router. Now I have an USB WiFi dongle and I want to create a wireless network for my laptop. But in Windows XP Home Service Pack 2 there are only options to connect to a wireless network (shocking to see how many unsecured wireless connections there are in my neighbourbood :eek: ), no to create a wireless network of your own. Does anyone know how?

Last edited:
i don't think you can use a usb dongle to make a wireless network. you need a wireless router. then to receieve the signal u use a dongle. or thats atleast what i have always thought

Well, as a wireless router is in fact a specialized computer with (wireless) network connections, it should be possible using a seperate dongle.

apu95

Caffeine-->Code Converter
I'm not sure about the actual networking aspect, but if you use the ICS of windows xp, maybe you'd be able to choose the USB dongle as the network adapter. I haven't tried it personally...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pdawgintown