• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Connect SATA desktop HDD to my laptop through usb.

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political User
Hey,
I was trying to hook up my SATA hdd from my HDD to my laptop, but it won't show up in My Computer. Anybody know how to fix this?

Thanks,
Jack

Hey,
I was trying to hook up my SATA hdd from my HDD to my laptop, but it won't show up in My Computer. Anybody know how to fix this?

Thanks,
Jack
First, your title suggests you're trying it through USB but are unsuccessful, so I take it you are using an adapter. Do you have any other computers to test that hard drive and adapter with to make sure the adapter is working?

In my experience, it's been difficult finding a very good quality, consistently working as expected PATA/SATA to USB adapter. All the ones I've tried have had their quirks including the one I'm using now (I use them mostly with DVDRW drives so I can use my old "large" PATA hard drives internally).

Also, if you are using an adapter are you using it correctly with a power cable connected to the hard drive as well?

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political User
First, your title suggests you're trying it through USB but are unsuccessful, so I take it you are using an adapter. Do you have any other computers to test that hard drive and adapter with to make sure the adapter is working?

In my experience, it's been difficult finding a very good quality, consistently working as expected PATA/SATA to USB adapter. All the ones I've tried have had their quirks including the one I'm using now (I use them mostly with DVDRW drives so I can use my old "large" PATA hard drives internally).

Also, if you are using an adapter are you using it correctly with a power cable connected to the hard drive as well?
Yea. everything is connected correctly.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanoravies