clone a hd..

failurbydesign

music MUSIC music
Political Access
I need to clone a hd to another hard drive. EVERYTHING..i need to remove the hd with the os, so i want to clone my drive c (xp pro) to my drive e (empty) so when i remove drive c, E will boot with what was on c...can this be done?

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
i would just ghost the c drive, only downside is that it moan about the e drive not being the right size

failurbydesign

music MUSIC music
Political Access
oh..yea c is 80gb and e is 400..any thoughts at all...i need seamless...something fast and easy..

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
Use Ghost, you won't have any problems with the drives being different sizes. It will work just fine :)

Or Acronis True Image, there are several programs out there that can do it :)

failurbydesign

music MUSIC music
Political Access
Use Ghost, you won't have any problems with the drives being different sizes. It will work just fine :)

Or Acronis True Image, there are several programs out there that can do it :)

whats the best and fastest?

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
i have only used ghost - as i said in above post it will moan at you about the size, but kcnychief is right it will go ok, i have only ever had to do it once

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
I don't think either is really better or faster, as there are many factors to consider when asking that question. For what you need, both will do the job.

American Zombie

Staff member
Political Access
i have only used ghost - as i said in above post it will moan at you about the size

I have never had Ghost complain about different size drives. Is this booting from the cd or starting Ghost from within Windows?

I do not have Ghost installed as I just boot from the cd when I need to clone/backup.

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
this was an old version, cant remeber if it was from dos or withing windows, going back about 3-4 years

American Zombie

Staff member
Political Access
Well I still have/use Ghost 2003 (still feel this is the best version of Ghost) too and it never complains about disk size differences.

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
i had a free version it came with the ark (p2 pentium i think it was) ;) good little pc it was too :)

LeeJend

OSNN Veteran Addict
If both drives are WD then just use their utilty CD (or floppy) to image the original

Warnings!

1) Do not boot into windows with both HDs installed! It does not like that and may mess up one or both HD's Boot Sectors. If it sees 2 identical bootable disks it may alter the second one changing the drive letter references.

2) Check which version of windows liscence you have. It may deactivate with a disk change or if you have done other upgrades in the last 6 months.

Make a back up of your .wpa file just in case.
Also make a backup of your track 0.

Sometimes imaging is easy, sometimes it is a pain. Good luck.

dreamliner77

The Analog Kid
I still like to use Drive Image 7 which is essentially Ghost 2003. I've had a reoccuring problem with Acronis. The safely remove hardware wizard tends to get botched; after imaging with acronis, it can't find the .dll

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.
Terrahertz wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Yo fellas!
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Where are you buddy?
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey EP! All good with me, applying for Microsoft MVP right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by coming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moussa021