chkdsk scanning drive after EVERY boot

• Thread starter Spookydogman
  • Start date
S

Spookydogman

within the last week or so, chkdsk will automatically scan my f: drive every single reboot

i have c: and f: which are both physical drives. c: is my main application drive, f: is for games

f: is also ntfs drive

i've run every diagnostic windows and norton has to offer and can't find anything wrong with the drive. obviously windows sees something :p

i'm using win xp pro

It *could* mean that one of the less serious system files is corrupted, try going to the start menu..run and trype

sfc /scannow

See if that helps ;)

i'm not 100% sure xp has theis but i think it does

open a dos window (run cmd) and type

chkntfs /x f:

this should disable the chkdsk on bootup

*note to undo this effect run

chkntfs /d

I just started having this problem yesterday!
I have 3 U160 SCSI drives. Two in a software RAID arry drive G
Every time I boot it does a chkdsk on the dam arry! Not sure why it started...I had setup a task to run defrag and also tried MORE overclocking on my PIV 1.6a so I was blaming those two things.
I'll have to check the windows update tonight though I have my system set to download updates then tell me before installing.

I'll post back the results.

We'll I downloaded all the updates from microsoft and I STILL have the same problem!
If I try to run disk defragmenter this is the error I get:

Disk Defragmenter has detected that Chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume: SCSI RAID0 (G:). Please run Chkdsk /f.

try running a full scandisk including surface scan once you have booted. Then shutdown and restart.

did you try what I posted? just curious to know if it will work

open the maintenance wizard ...all programs,accessories and then System Tools. and run through its checklist. The wizard lets you schedule common tasks like chk disk scanning when YOU want, like start up. If you want run the Disk Defragmenter in the middle of the night, leave your computer on so the program can run, maybe it's catching up with itself...

if that doesn't work, I just found this, see if this'll work on xp;

To turn off automatic Scandisk, open the MSDOS.SYS file, found in the root of your boot drive (typically C:\). Under the [Options] section, edit the AUTOSCAN entry so it reads AUTOSCAN=0. If you want Scandisk to run automatically after a forced reboot, without requiring you to read any error messages, change this entry to AUTOSCAN=2. To restore the default setting, change the value back to AUTOSCAN=1.

Ended up moving the SWAP file off the arry. Then running the chkdsk /f G: from DOS prompt then also Defrag. Both also worked in Windows :) I then moved the swap file back to G: rebooted and ALL is fine!

Nothing worked

Had the same problem. I've tried all the above without result. Pls help...

Sorry dealer - your post isn't for XP. There is no scandisk in XP and the MSDOS.sys is a zero byte file by default -- remember -- XP is not a DOS based OS.

go to a command prompt and type: chkdsk /f
Then reboot and let check disk run its course. It should fix any errors it finds and then not run again until needed. If this doesn't work come back and we'll try something else.

Originally posted by allan
Sorry dealer - your post isn't for XP. There is no scandisk in XP and the MSDOS.sys is a zero byte file by default -- remember -- XP is not a DOS based OS.

I didn't know if it would work on xp or not, tho I didn't know why it wouldn't...tho I couldn't see why it wouldn't...thanx for the info

Originally posted by allan
go to a command prompt and type: chkdsk /f
Then reboot and let check disk run its course. It should fix any errors it finds and then not run again until needed. If this doesn't work come back and we'll try something else.

Tried it...no result.Disk consistency check keeps running on boot...:(

Okay, next let's try this:

Start / Run / Regedit
Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

Then look for & change (or add):

Name: AutoChkTimeOut
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value: 0 to disable

Could not locate specified string (AutoChkTimeOut)...Am I supposed to add it myself ?

Yes, if it's not there add it. But please back up your registry (or create a restore point) first.

Problem solved !

Following your guidelines problem solved !!! Many many thankSSS !!!:D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back