Change Registered User & user folder name

M

mangoes

I'm wondering if anyone knows how to change the registered user name in Windows XP Home Edition? My purpose for doing this is to hopefully give a more user-friendly name to the user folder that was created under c:\Documents and Settings. Right now, the folder that was created for me is called something like c:\Documents and Settings\user.your-7D4e9j, but I would really like it to simply be my name! When I try to re-name the folder, it won't let me do it. Can anyone please help?

Many thanks!

I think this is what you are looking for. Start->control panel->user accounts->pick a task->change account. You can rename there.

no, that's not the answer...

nope, that only adds a new user, and it doesn't change the registered user for Windows XP Home Edition. Specifically, I want to be able to change the name of my user folder that appears under c:\Documents and Settings. On my computer, my user folder has a garbled name like "user.your-and some numbers'. Several people I know have their user folders with their own names. Yet, no one knows how they ended up being so lucky! Anyone have any ideas?

Re: no, that's not the answer...

Originally posted by mangoes
nope, that only adds a new user, and it doesn't change the registered user for Windows XP Home Edition.
I have "home" and doing that, I can change the users name to whatever I want. Maybe we are not talking about the same thing.

I want to change the user folder name under "Documents & Settings"

I just want to be able to change the name of the my user folder that appears under the Documents and Settings folder.

According to the MS Knowledge Base, it is not possible.

However, I am hoping there is some wizard out there who has figured out how to do it anyway!!

Partial fix

I have a partial fix to your problem. In order to change the registered user and organization on a computer you need to open 'regedit'.

Find the value: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RegisteredOwner

Change that to whatever you want. There is also a key there for 'RegisteredOrganization'. The problem with this fix is that it does not change the folder name in C:\Documents and Settings. I hope this is some help to you.

Thanks for being on the right track with your suggestion. Actually, I've already done that and realized, as you did, that it still doesn't change the folder name under "Documents & Settings". Is there any way, without formatting the hard-drive, to re-register XP Home, so I can put a registered user name in from the start (instead of the default name "user")? Perhaps then the folder under "Documents & Settings" would be named correctly! I have plenty of friends who have XP and their folders are named the same as their registered user names. Thanks....

safe mode doesn't do it either

Someone replied earlier suggesting I try to change the user folder under c:\Documents and Settings by going into Safe Mode. Oddly enough, that person's post has disappeared! In any case, the Safe Mode approach doesn't work. Anyone else with ideas? Many thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back