• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Capture Video On Screen

Bman

OSNN Veteran Original
I just got SnagIt because I thought it allows you to take a screenshot and also include any video that is on the screen, yet it didn't do that? I am doing something wrong, or is there another program?

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
Good point Taurus.

Bman, what are you looking to capture? What application is it within?

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
I was thinking that too.

@ Bman, if you are using a DVD, you can capture using a DVD authoring style application to capture scenes.

Why go with an external application instead of a 3'rd party app that can play the video with decoders AND capture?

Bman

OSNN Veteran Original
I must of really asked my question wrong, sorry.

I want to take a screenshot for say a desktop screenshot thread or posting, and I have PowerDVD in that screenshot, but it's just black. I was told SnagIt was able to capture that, yet it did not do it.

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
Fraps might be able to capture the screenshot exactly as you are seeing it.

The free version I believe still provides you with capture ability :)

Bman

OSNN Veteran Original
I just tried FRAPS and it don't seem to work. I press the screencapture key and nothing is saved...I have snagit, is it not suppose to be able to?

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
It depends on what you have on the screen.

I think snag-it has limitations depending on what device is outputting the video.

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
Just capture the DVD shot with some other device and then paste it into the screenshot of the rest of the screen ;)

Dark Atheist

Staff member
Political User
use a player that doesn't use overlay - try media player classic from gabest - that will allow you to chose another render to use and you should be able to take a screen shot of it, i know latest version(s) of power dvd had that option removed to stop people taking screen shots of films as it upset the mpaa

You did not mention VISTA or XP?

Try screenprint32 for XP. There is not a VISTA version. Free for home use.

EDIT

That doesn't work either I tried it with VLC and Nero Showtime, no go.

Looks like it's cut and paste time.

Last edited:

Bman

OSNN Veteran Original
What do you mean Movie Maker with sort of my needs? How would that be.

And I did not know VLC has that feature, it captures stills?

I could not find a capture stills in the latest VLC. It has a stream capture function burried in the files menu.

Nero showtime has a "capture frame" on the pull out menu on the left side. It captures to the clipboard or can be set to capture to file.

Power DVD also has a capture frame button, bottom row. Right click the button for options (clipboard, file, etc).

PS I think movie maker has a frame grabber also but I could not immediately find it.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timpage