Can't delete files

RagnaroK

Must be dreaming...
Hi,
I've got a problem where I can't delete some files, and when I try to... this error "Cannot delete *insert filename*: It is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again." comes up.

I know this has been discussed before, but I cannot seem to find the old thread. Some help would be nice. Thanks! :)

BTW, I've tried safe mode... it's a no-go.

ctl alt del, processes, end process for everything but explorer. Note some processes may resist being shut down. when you've killed everything try and delete the files again.

If that doesn't work take everything you want to keep out of the folder and delete the folder. Then make a new one and put the good stuff back in.

you can usually delete these files by opening notepad, navigate to the file from that and deleting the file from notepad

Interesting perris. Thanks.
But the problem is becoming more apparent than ever. Some files that I'm pretty sure aren't being used (or shouldn't be used) are in fact in use, which means I can't move or delete them (it was a avi file btw). This problem never occurred before, and it is just getting plain annoying... Any ideas?

RagnaroK said:
But the problem is becoming more apparent than ever. Some files that I'm pretty sure aren't being used (or shouldn't be used) are in fact in use, which means I can't move or delete them (it was a avi file btw). This problem never occurred before, and it is just getting plain annoying... Any ideas?

for avi files, this should fix it.

Attachments

• aviunlock.zip
    278 bytes · Views: 48
cpugeniusmv said:
for avi files, this should fix it.

Thanks, but it wasn't just an avi file. Before that it was an .iso file, and before that, it was an .exe file. It's getting in the way of my cleaning... :eek:

you know, everytime I've seen this problem before, it was a single file...once fixed, The problem didn't keep popping up

so your problem looks new.

I didn't read this whole thread...did you do a virus scan?

I have scanned my boot drive. Nothing... I'll do a more thorough scan later tonight.

are you using d-tools or something that uses the directory? i have that happen to me sometimes if i unmount the img and on some xvid/divx i have to go to a new movie so it allows me to del. I just make my way to the directory with Flashfxp and del it and it works fine also

Long shot.

Any chance someone is accessing the files over your LAN or internet connection and then abnormally terminating?

Firewall up?

A virus scan came up with nothing... hmm...

mooo said:
are you using d-tools or something that uses the directory? i have that happen to me sometimes if i unmount the img and on some xvid/divx i have to go to a new movie so it allows me to del. I just make my way to the directory with Flashfxp and del it and it works fine also

I use something similar to d-tools, but the files weren't in the same directory.

LeeJend said:
Long shot.

Any chance someone is accessing the files over your LAN or internet connection and then abnormally terminating?

Firewall up?

Umm, I don't think anyone was accessing the files, and yes my firewall is always up (ZoneAlarm Free).

The problem seems to have subsided for now, though I wouldn't mind knowing what the hell was "using" those files... Thanks for all ya help though.

paul2-0-0-2 said:
Is it just files over 700mb?? or small 1's aswel?

Well first it was a 200kb .exe, then a >200kb .zip, then it was a 200mb .avi, then it was a folder... I stumped... Any possibility to trace whatever is using these "random" files?

avi unlock

I had that same problem w/a corrupt .avi file that I could'nt delete,move,etc. That avi unlock in the registry worked great,thanx! :D

Grrr!

:mad: lol,just realized I misspelled my username. Anyone know how the hell to correct it? I tried doing it in the user options/edit profile area,but was unable to.
Thanx,
Mephistopheles

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back