cannot change virtual memory

F

felix13

Hello,

I know this has been covered before but I still haven't managed to find a solution to my problem. I have a brand new machine, p4 1.7 mhz, 256 MB DDR ram, hard drive (not partitioned) and a clean install of XP Pro. Wow this will be so fast i thought........but no.

I keep running out of memory and overall the performance is terrible. On start up I always get the message no paging file or paging file too small. I've tried to change this and restart but every time the allocated memory continues to read 0 MB. It also claims to create a temporary page file.

I've also tried a search for pagefile.sys (including hidden files) and I can't find one.

This isn't funny anymore :confused: :mad: :(

ok

Start menu>
Control panel>
System>
Advanced>
Open the performance tab>
Advanced>

all you need is there. if its set to manage itself, change it to about 700mb if it aint playing ball.

256mb is just enuff to start windows.

Actually you want to set it to 384 both minimum and maximum. The recommended setting for your amount of ram is 1.5x installed ram. You want min & max to be the same to cut down on fragmentation.

Or are you saying that when you do this it will not stick? If so, how big is your hard drive?

Yep, I was meaning that it wouldn't record the changes, but I've sorted it now.

It was a problem with the chipset, certain chipsets seem to have problems with this.

To remedy it I downloaded a patch called intel accelerator or something and that sorted it. My PC is now running smoothly.

support.intel.com/support/chipsets/iaa

Cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back