Cable net + Switch/router?

Originally posted by ming
As far as I know, Pipex is actually better than most other DSL providers. :)

:eek: I hear very conflicting statements about them. They did take on more than they could handle during the "boom".

SPeedY_B, nice to see you get rates that map over to the actual speed you should get. I know a couple of people that cant seem to pass 40 on BT!

I guess I have it lucky... I get 400+Kps downloads. I just hate the fact that I only get 15Kps uploads. :-/ Oh well..

Enyo, BT are pathetic, I wouldn't use them for an ISP ever!

Un4gIvEn1, I gather you're stuck with a 128k upload?

You would be surprised to see the little bit of speed you may get back by disabling QoS on your network. QoS (Quality of Service) reserves a little bit of your bandwidth for "mission critical" transfers...

Yep... 128Kbps upload... But like I said, I can boost that to 384Kbps for $35 more.

Originally posted by Un4gIvEn1
I guess I have it lucky... I get 400+Kps downloads. I just hate the fact that I only get 15Kps uploads. :-/ Oh well..

How does that work out? 400k+ down / 15k up?!
Surely the 15kbps bit slows down your download because of error correction or whatever it's called (that gives feedback to the server you are downloading from).

Originally posted by Enyo
:eek: I hear very conflicting statements about them. They did take on more than they could handle during the "boom".

SPeedY_B, nice to see you get rates that map over to the actual speed you should get. I know a couple of people that cant seem to pass 40 on BT!

I think that was because bloody BT kept dropping the connection between Pipex and it's customers on a frequent basis.
I've had this problem a few months back and was very miffed! :mad:

Originally posted by Un4gIvEn1
ming: I'm not sure I understand what you are asking...

Not asking anything in particular. Just can't understand why an ISP would restrict upload to 15kbps only when the download is 400kbps.
The fact that everytime you download something, there's always a packet sent out to make sure the traffic is running smoothly. This would surely slow down your download if you're heavily downloading something.

Originally posted by ming
I think that was because bloody BT kept dropping the connection between Pipex and it's customers on a frequent basis.
I've had this problem a few months back and was very miffed! :mad:

Well then, I guess part of it is down to BT's communications infrastructure and poor management. Can't say that surprises me :p

Well... a company would cap their uploads to keep you from serving or simply to ask for more money for better services. It has been this way with almost every service that I have had here. The normal is 1.5Mbps/128Kbps... Most of the services here are asyncronous. Some of the DSL providers offer Syncronous services, but they are 384/384 or 512/512 and go well above $80-100 dollars.

1536 / 128 is quite an un-fair ratio though. I mean I even find 256 to be annoying sometimes.

yeah.. it is unfair, but that's the way it is. I would gladly sacrifice some of my download speed for more upload speed.

The bare minimum ratio for down/upload should be about 1/4 for connections upto 1mbps. But to give 15kbps for a 400/512 connection just takes the biscuits!

Cox (my previous ISP) used to have 3.5 Mbit down and 256 Kbit up for $40/mo. :D

Not sure about Adelphia (which I'm using now after I moved)...it's probably the same since I don't notice any difference in speed. I'll have to look at their site for exact numbers.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back