cable lengths?

adek

Very xp-erianced
What is the maximum cable lengths of stuff like Monitor keyboard mouse usb and ide before signal decregation

There are companies that make special extender cables. A friend bought one long enough to put his computer in another room. If you're interested I can get the web link from him.

LeeJend said:
There are companies that make special extender cables. A friend bought one long enough to put his computer in another room. If you're interested I can get the web link from him.

Any info would be helpful as i wish to put the computer in a sound proofed cupboard with a inlet and exhaust for air flow.

very crafty...would have to say search on newegg.com and zipzoomfly.com

why not get a cordless mouse/keyboard?

adek said:
yes but what about the screen and ext. dvd burner cables
well, ide cables can only go 24 inches, max. if you want your drives to reach out of the cupboard, you'll have to go firewire or usb2.0.

i'm guessing monitor cables can go at least 10 feet. i've seen em pretty darn long. same with ps/2 cables. maybe not 20+ feet, though.

yes m8 your about right, most long cables are shielded anyway to overcome signal loss over the distance. i think USB is 10m or 15m

monitors, well i used to sell a 2m extension kit, coverd all cables you would use. inc keyboard and mouse.
after 2m you need shielded on a monitor or it can pick us interference from just about anything over 2m.

IDE spec calls for 18" cables. 24" seems to be okay, haven't really heard of any probs, even with round cables. There are 36" IDE's available.

USB1.1/2 and firewire need hubs or repeaters over a certain length, And I know at least with my monitor, if add "any" extension, the visual quality is unusable and at a 3' extension, there is not enough of a signal for the monitor to turn on.

Keyboards, and mice appear to be able to go fairly far without degredation.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back