C:\windows\system32\logfiles\wmi\trace.log

  • Thread starter Thread starter Temperal
  • Start date Start date
T

Temperal

Guest
Anyone have a clue what this file is associated with (C:\windows\system32\logfiles\wmi\trace.log)? Thanks...

Temperal
 
u can open a .log in note pad and see what it is a part of. there should be a program sig in there or u might be able to tell from what it is logging
 
Just figured it out...was tracing for the new Bootvis program from MS. I had it do a trace and thought it was just for the boot but apparently it has kept going...😕
 
Please, how did You stop the trace?

I use Windows XP Professional.🙂

Also I have tried the MS Boot Visard, and ended up with a file C:\windows\system32\logfiles\wmi\trace.log growing with about 1 GB per hour.😱

The process that holds the file open is System, with a PID of only 4!

How do you stop the trace logging? 😕
 
Thread moved, but where?

Where will I find the answers to my question, if any, when the thread is moved?
 
After running bootvis.exe to analyze your startup time, you need to go back
and run it a second time to view the results. If you don't, it starts
logging at each bootup and won't stop until you run it again to look at the
results. Reboot your computer to reset the log file, then run bootvis.exe.
No more logging will occur, and you can delete the trace.log file then. Take
bootvis out of your startup axis as well. Tuck it away for a rainy day
when/if XP gets slow again.

O.K. booby?
 
romo17 said:
Where will I find the answers to my question, if any, when the thread is moved?
I just moved the thread out of the Legacy into a more appropriate forum heading.🙂
 
OIC windows General. Wonder if the guy/gal sorted it out. Personally I didn't want to say 'press help' in bootvis.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
62,021
Messages
673,242
Members
5,642
Latest member
osipov
Back
Top