C compiler for Terminal

Techno Child

web{designer}
Hey everyone.. I'm back,

Does anyone know how to set up a c compiler on mac? I guess it would probably run through terminal but i have no idea... It would be nice to not have to jump back and forth between pc/mac with my jumpdrive for little programs :D

Thanx

Just plain old GCC is installed, which is available from gcc, and for C++ as g++.

man gcc
man c++

Enjoy.

ok.. now how do you use it? i'm new to programming on a mac... i tried
Code:
gcc untitled.c
and it doesn't recognize the gcc command....

Ah, you need to install the development packages, which includes Xcode, then you will have gcc and others available.

ok... Xcode... someone mentioned that before... the problem is that i am running osX 3.9 and it requires xcode v 1.5 the current version on apple's website is 2.2 , which requires tiger... have any idea as to where 1.5 can be downloaded?

i already tried several mac websites/google search and they all are upgraded to v 2.2 and even the ones that say 1.5 are 2.2 when i start downloading it... I also checked my cds that came with my mac... they do not have xcode because the cds are the factory restore disks, not a fresh install...

can gcc be downloaded by itself?

Xcode is on your Mac OS X installation DVD, and no you can't just download gcc for Mac OS X.

Upgrade to Tiger when you get the chance :p

ahhh, sorry, didn't read the thread properly, my mistake! Your best bet will be *cough*p2p*cough*

cybershrikee said:
ahhh, sorry, didn't read the thread properly, my mistake! Your best bet will be *cough*p2p*cough*

Old Xcodes are not arround on p2p, first, because people can freely download it from Apple, two, because almost all developers have simply upgraded to the newer Mac OS X.

X-Istence said:
Old Xcodes are not arround on p2p, first, because people can freely download it from Apple, two, because almost all developers have simply upgraded to the newer Mac OS X.

rub it in x-istence, rub it in:yowch:

I might have a copy of xcode 1.5 on a cd somewhere. If i find it I will upload it somewhere and let you know.

I have searched pretty much high and low for it, but its not here with me at Uni. I am going home in a couple of days will see if I can dig the CD out there.

..finally found this thread..
If anyone is looking for previous versions of Xcode, a guy from apple just told me that you can access all previous releases through your developer's account which is also free.

-tc

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back