• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Buying my 1st DVD Burner...

I currently have a cd-burner and am wanting to upgrade to a DVD Burner.

My current cd-burner is a Lite-On and I am very happy with the performance and compatibility with many media brands.

I want compatibility first and foremost with my new purchase as I have been down the road with previous cd-burners where media brands were a problem. Lite-On is the first cd-burner I have purchased where brand type wasn't an issue. The 2nd thing I look for is speed - I want the quick burn times, BUT with the best results and also the best read times. Noise isn't really a factor unless it's to a point where I have to warn the neighbours it's just me using my pc and not a Jumbo Jet taking off in the backyard.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

ejn74

Folding Master!
Political User
I have a HP DVD530i that I have not had any problems with, and it wasn't very expensive either. It will burn DVD+r in Dual layer

Last edited:

ElementalDragon

The One and Only
i actually like my Lite-On SOHW-1639s. 16x DVD+/-RW drive that can also burn double-layer discs. think i picked it up at the computer show for like $60. haven't had a problem with it yet, nor did i have a problem with my old 4x DVD+/-RW from Lite-On. they're pretty damn good quality burners i'd say.

zeke_mo

(value not set)
Staff member
Political User
I would get one that can have a firmware update and be able to burn dual layer dvds. Im not sure which ones can do this; I was wondering myself :)

American Zombie

Administrator
Staff member
Political User
I have a Lite-On SOHW-1673S and have been real pleased with it.

Since I have owned this drive Lite-On have released three firmware upgrades and all three were to match more media not fix any problems with the drive.

I like the fact they keep up on matching media.

Lite-On DVD Firmware page.

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
NEC, Lite-On, Sony, Pioneer, MSI and a variety of other companies make exceptional products. HP also makes really good drives with light-scribe technology.

You can't really go wrong with any of these, simply select the one with the best features (dual layer functionality and format support) as well as the best software. Its the reason I choose my Sony (check for my Sony review in this section).

ming

OSNN Advanced
I think it's much easier to find firmware upgrades for Lite-On drives than any other drives out there if you need one.

I'll be looking for one to remove the region lock on the drive once my waranty expires.

I'm gonna say you only need to look at the LG GSA-4163/4160 as that will read/write all but one format - including dual layer and DVD-RAM.

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
LordOfLA said:
I'm gonna say you only need to look at the LG GSA-4163/4160 as that will read/write all but one format - including dual layer and DVD-RAM.
I am going to hazard a guess you had no idea that was your 1,337 th post.... I am also going to hazard a guess you do not care, although no doubt you realise th childish possible significance of that number.....

I guess I could get a little flambé for this OT post, but I am just feeling a little WTF right now....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timpage