Bulk user creation in AD

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political Access
It's time to create the new user accounts for our incoming students. I've never had to do more then a handful at a time in the past. This time, it's over 100. I've heard you can use a script to do it for you. I have no idea how to do that and all the things I've read online are way to advanced for me. My boss is toying with the notion of getting this:

Active Directory User Import, Import Tools

But no one here knows anything about it. So what do you recommend? Bite the bullet and do it manually or buy this program? Or is scripting really not that difficult? Thoughts?

You can script out pretty much anything in AD (including creating users, home directories, etc). You can use CSVDE to do a straight import to create new users if you know how to create the import file - which really isn't too hard to do.. LDIFDE can be used as well if you need to modify existing accounts, but the file format it uses is a little more work (at least for me) to create. (for examples on CSVDE - http://www.gfi.com/blog/csvde-means-simplify-active-directory-administration-part-3/)

You can also use VBScript connecting through ADSI to script out the creation of the user accounts.. (Step-by-Step Guide to Bulk Import and Export to Active Directory)

Hating this already. So much so that I think it'll be easier to do it manually.

Right now despite being told to run it as ldifde –i -f NEWUSERS.ldf -s SERVERNAME it errors out at the -i saying its a bad argument. Odd considering that is the syntax it says to you.

Active User Manager is the greatest thing ever!

REPS!

K-12 School district. I'm one of the only one's here and I figured I'd have a nice easy summer. One word ... Nope!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back