Building a PC

Originally posted by Pythro

I went to the backroom of this computer repair shop, and the guy didn't have a case, he had his mobo naled to the wall.

whatttttttt
wow
thats pretty easy to cool eh
lol:D

Hi,
I've had another look round and i've come up wih this:
Case-Colorcases.com-Noblesse
Mobo-Soyo - KT333 Dragon Ultra
Ram-512Mb PC2100 Crucial
CPU-AMD XP 2000+
HD-Maxtor D740X 60GB UDMA133
CPU Fan-Thermaltake Volcano 7 Plus
CD-RW-Lite On Internal IDE CD/RW 40x12x48x
Case Fan-Thermaltake Smart Case Fan 80mm x2
Graphics-Asus V8420 TD 128mb (Ti4200)

What do u think?

ok, pay no attention to the previous post. Had another look round and have come up with this:

Processor--- AMD Athlon XP 2000+
Motherboard---Asus A7V333
Memory---256Mb Crucial PC2100
Hard Drive---Maxtor Diamond MAX+ 60Gb
CPU Fan---Thermaltake Volcano 7+
Case Fan---Thermaltake 80mm Smartfan
Graphics Card---Abit 128Mb GF3 Ti200
Case---FashionPC's.com-Noblese
CD-RW---Lite-On 40x/10x/48x
Power---Enermax Active PFC 350Watt ATX PSU

Building a Computer is like building a house, you don't know what style you want untill you finish it and even still make changes.:D It'll still be FUN!

if ur gonna get a 333 board then get the pc2700 memory to match it, don't limit yourself with 2100 ram.

Originally posted by Dlovely
if ur gonna get a 333 board then get the pc2700 memory to match it, don't limit yourself with 2100 ram.

gonna cost to much............ppl here in the uk rip u off bad

Someone at neowin said i should get 2 30gb hd's and set them up in a RAID 0 cuz i would get better speed...........what do u think?

Originally posted by pothitos
Someone at neowin said i should get 2 30gb hd's and set them up in a RAID 0 cuz i would get better speed...........what do u think?
A good way to end up in a world of pain if you're unlucky. I'd go with a single 60 or 80 instead. Less heat and if something goes wrong, all the data is likely to be intact and saveable. RAID for home users is more trouble than it's worth. RAID 0 should only be used in special applications such as temporary storage for movie editing. RAID 0 was never meant to be used as a permanent storage.

If you want to throw out enough cash for three disks, I recommend RAID 5. Both fast and secure. If a disk goes, just replace it and you'll be running as if nothing happened. The downside is you only use 2/3 of the space if you have 3 disks.

k i'll just get one then........its gonna be expensive enough as it is let alon buying 3 hd's!!!!!

if you're sticking with pc2100 why don't you get a 266 board? save even more money and with that get the 3 hdd:)

theres not that much of a price difference round here between the 333 and 266-A boards and anyway the boards been ordered

depending on the resolution you work with,you might want to spend a few extra bucks on 128 mb on your vid. card otherwise it
looks like you got a nice system in mind. remember to take your
time , don't rush thru your build, you'll make alot fewer mistakes'if you do. good luck on your new rig!:cool:

don't get the maxtor. get one of the special caviar edition Western Digital harddrives with the 8MB buffer. and make sure its the "JB" and not the "BB"drive (that's part of the part # or somthing)

not sure if i'd get maxtor, either. sure, they're ata133 but there are ata100 drives out there that actually perform a little better (ibm 120gxp and w.d. "JB"). the western digitals are the more expensive of the 3, though (80gb minimum). the maxtor and ibm's are about equally priced.

a raid controller is good to have simply cuz you're likely to have more than 4 ide devices at some point and will need the extra ports.

i was going to suggest a lower-end video card since you didn't mention gaming at all, but i looked at some screenshots of cinema 4d and i think the ti 4200 will do you good. im not a fan of ati, but some rave about their image quality and color accuracy, but i don't know if that's true anymore with gf3 and 4's.

the only difference between kt333 and kt266a boards is the memory controller... so your kt333 will actually be more of a kt266a if you use pc2100 memory. i know the 2 chipsets are almost the same price, though so it's okay. kt400 (using pc3200) will be out in not too long, just so you know.

and finally... nice case. }:>

k thanks for the info guys............western digital and IBM are the same pretty much though aint they?

ibm's newer drives rank pretty much at the top when it comes to seek time and general performance. but western digital's 'special edition' drives with an 8mb cache will do better is some applications.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back