budget gamers dream mobo?

Both of my cuz's bought ECS L7S7A2 for 52.00 bucks of newegg. That is great all you need. I would also get aleat a 2500+ barton core. Its like 90.00 but its worth the extra 10 bucks over 2400 because of the extra fsb. I am a budget gamer and i havea nice ridge. I have........
Amd 2400+ tb core
Geforce 4 ti 4200
768 ddr 2100
Thermal Take xaser 3 case
300 watt psu
Nice moddem
Asus Nforce motherboard

for about 400 wiht case 550. DONT GO LOWN END ON STUFF THINKING YOU DONT NEED IT. YOU WILL FOR HL2 and doom 3. if you want to play counter-strike (number one game) you can get any computer. Just think ahead not games out now.

well, it was on track for a while, but uh.. budget means budget guys.. yeah a extra few bucks here, a few more bucks there, and you got your an awesome rig, but thats just not something im looking for.

budget in my mind means Under 500 bucks including case, ps, mobo, ram, cpu, vc, hd, cd drive. everything inside the nerdBox.:)

I know were you are coming from with the budget thing but the way computer chips are advancing so fast you are better off saving that little bit extra and doing it right, trust me it will be better for you in the long run. If you are looking for budget but reasonable good you should get a Gigabyte GA7 VA- KT400 for around 55 pound in the UK and you can put a stick of ddr266 in for around 40 pound in the UK and it will run just fine for a budget board, then you could pick a radeon 9200 up for around 60 pound in the UK, you can pick a case up with a 400 pcu for around 25 pound in the uk and the 2100+ athlon is only 45 pound now in the UK and you will get all these a hole lot cheaper if you order them form the US, I built this system for my sister a few monthes ago and for a budget system it runs just fine and it is pritty good at proformance to be truthfull and it gets 11121 in 3D MARK 2001SE which isnt bad for stock speeds, and with the GA7 VA you can allways stick a 2500+ barton in for 65 pound which is 166fsb and this mobo had the F9 bios on when my sis got it which you will need to run the barton chips on so it has room for inprovment if you felt like it in the furure, anyway hope this helps you and you should think about it as it is a good little setup and gives out some good proformance and can be improved by means of overclocking.

^^^ i count two (2) periods! :p

Originally posted by dubstar
well, it was on track for a while, but uh.. budget means budget guys.. yeah a extra few bucks here, a few more bucks there, and you got your an awesome rig, but thats just not something im looking for.

budget in my mind means Under 500 bucks including case, ps, mobo, ram, cpu, vc, hd, cd drive. everything inside the nerdBox.:)
500, huh? i thought you were thinking more like $150. like i was saying, find a kt266a board that supports sdram as well. i know at least one manufacturer has one. i'll look for one after this. then get a 2000+ or whatever's cheap with it. $150 total, at the most.

then down the road you you can incrementally upgrade... replace the sdr with ddr memory, get an xp 2600+, and get whatever agp video card you want. when that system is finally old and dated (two years or so), you should be in a better financial position to buy the good, high-end parts everyone's telling you to get now.

[edit] here's that board... MSI KT2 Combo-L

the KT266A northbridge was a high-end performance chip when it came out and is still a respectable one. has the newer VT8235 southbridge, too... which means ata133 and usb2.0. has onboard sound and lan, so you won't need to buy those, either.

here it is on pricegrabber for $46!

I would stay away from them boards what take sdram and ddr ram, no ofence but the shop I work in has stopped selling them because of all the returns, the problem is when you stick sdram in and you have say a 2000+xp xhip in it will unley let you run the cpu on 133fsb is you have one stick of ram in as when you stick two in it claps out and frezzes all the time, I know you can have one stick of ram in and run it on 133fsb but the chjance are you only have 256 mb sticks if you are useing pc100 and 256 isnt all taht good for the games of today and if you are useing xp its a no no with 256 of pc 100 or pc133 as my brother used to have this board allso but it was an sis one and he has one stick of 256 pc133 in and when he came out of a game it was taking ages for the pr4ograms to get and ram as the game was still releasing it and it was sluggish alot, well I know ddr is just fine in these boards with two sticks in as I know alot who have ddr in with no probs at all, I know not all these boards will have this problem but there are quit alot that do and its a known isue with the boards that take both ram types, just thought i would mention it ok.

Sorry about the bad spelling above but i am shagged lol I will say again not all these boards what take both ram types have the problems of frezzing with 2 sticks of sdram but there are alot that do, hope this helps

i swear im spoiled.. i dont know how things work out this way a lot of the time, but they just do. so im hanging out with a friend, he wanted to use the computer.. fine doesnt matter, he asked if he could put in more ram to play a game, i said sure.... when he turned it back on after putting the ram in, it didnt boot right, so he took out the ram, and restarted it and it still didnt load right... we let it sit for a few hours, turned it on, still nothing. he said he'd just buy me a new computer.

he said he'd only buy something with a warenty, so no building. Something around $1200.. (holy crap $1200!!) I'm gonna go check out FRY Electronics (big computer warehouse in California), and Bestbuy, see what they have to offer.

my friends rock!

(also the other day a friend spilled beer on my shirt at a party, so he let me borrow a shirt... it was at his house.. then i pushed him into the pool, and someone pushed me in after i pushed him in... rock on.)

Originally posted by dubstar
i swear im spoiled.. i dont know how things work out this way a lot of the time, but they just do. so im hanging out with a friend, he wanted to use the computer.. fine doesnt matter, he asked if he could put in more ram to play a game, i said sure.... when he turned it back on after putting the ram in, it didnt boot right, so he took out the ram, and restarted it and it still didnt load right... we let it sit for a few hours, turned it on, still nothing. he said he'd just buy me a new computer.

he said he'd only buy something with a warenty, so no building. Something around $1200.. (holy crap $1200!!) I'm gonna go check out FRY Electronics (big computer warehouse in California), and Bestbuy, see what they have to offer.

my friends rock!

(also the other day a friend spilled beer on my shirt at a party, so he let me borrow a shirt... it was at his house.. then i pushed him into the pool, and someone pushed me in after i pushed him in... rock on.)

omg... :eek:

well ordered my hd and video card :eek:) Ati 9800 pro AIW and a WD 36.6 sata w00t w00t want to talk to me about it join #ntfs we dcould use more users in there irc.blessed.net

my friend crashed into a telephone pole, ruined his 67 Fastback Mustang, and wont have a license for 3 years!

i told him not to worry about the computer, he'll need the money.

:(

did you guys know Librarys have free internet... and BOOKS!

Originally posted by taurus
^^^ i count two (2) periods! :p

500, huh? i thought you were thinking more like $150. like i was saying, find a kt266a board that supports sdram as well. i know at least one manufacturer has one. i'll look for one after this. then get a 2000+ or whatever's cheap with it. $150 total, at the most.

then down the road you you can incrementally upgrade... replace the sdr with ddr memory, get an xp 2600+, and get whatever agp video card you want. when that system is finally old and dated (two years or so), you should be in a better financial position to buy the good, high-end parts everyone's telling you to get now.

[edit] here's that board... MSI KT2 Combo-L

the KT266A northbridge was a high-end performance chip when it came out and is still a respectable one. has the newer VT8235 southbridge, too... which means ata133 and usb2.0. has onboard sound and lan, so you won't need to buy those, either.

here it is on pricegrabber for $46!
Supports up up to Athlon™ XP 2600+ or higher processor...

how do they work that 1 out when a xp2700 is 333 fsb and that pos dont support it :|

Originally posted by GoNz0
Supports up up to Athlon™ XP 2600+ or higher processor...

how do they work that 1 out when a xp2700 is 333 fsb and that pos dont support it :|
yeah, they just say that in case amd decides to release faster 266fsb processors later. but, they won't.
:)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back